Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus in a very large planter box?

Posted by liz_h 7/8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 08 at 17:13

I'm thrilled to be living in the woods. But I have very few places to plant sun plants that aren't watered by the septic spray heads. (The water is fully treated before being released, but still...) We will be building several large planter boxes on the deck for vegetables. Would it be possible to grow asparagus this way?

Most of my beds won't be much more than a foot deep, but I could make one bed deeper for asparagus. I know they like to grow long roots. I could also place my crowns a foot or more in from the edge to help protect them from freeze. Most beds will be about 4 feet wide, though if I placed the asparagus next to the house I'd probably make that bed 2 or 3 feet wide.

Any thoughts on whether this might be successful? What soil depth would you recommend for the planter box? While I've read a lot about it, I've never grown asparagus before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus in a very large planter box?

HI
In the Texas heat, our much loved Asparagus doesn't grow.

If you can, read up on where they grow best.

As for your planter boxes, the annuals will do well, with lots of water and will provide you allot of wonderful color.

If your considering growing in a 'raised bed' set up which is allot larger than 'planter box's just be sure to use allot of amendments to the soil.
GOOD LUCK!

o

Well, I don't know about the rest of the state, but asparagus sure flourishes in the Dallas area. I've enjoyed cutting from others' asparagus beds, even if I haven't had one of my own. I'm just not sure it can be grown in a box on a deck - even if the box is 4' square and a few feet tall. My previous garden's raised beds sat on actual soil, so the roots could go down several feet if they wanted to. I know that asparagus roots can be as much as 12' deep. I just don't know if they need that much depth to be happy.

o

Just a note in case anyone else is curious. I found several references on the web to successfully growing asparagus in containers. A bare minimum container size is 5 gallons, but at least 10 gallons is recommended. My starter box will be about 12 square feet, with a 2.5 foot soil depth. I figure this is roughly 40 gallons.

I'd post the references I found, but it looks like I forgot to bookmark them.

o

I am attempting to grow asparagus in a pot. So far so good but they're still young. I bought a six pack of plants (not sure how old they were - probably 1 year olds?) and then put them in a large pot but they quickly out grew the pot and roots were peeping out of the bottom within a few months. I repotted them and they seem to be doing well. The new asparagus are getting thicker too.

I would love to see any other peoples experience with this too. I have looked around online and haven't seem much at all. Everyone advises against trying it...well, here is my experiment ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: click here to my CONTAINER ASPARAGUS experiment

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here