Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

Too hot to garden!

ilovemyroses
10 years ago

Yes, I know, early and late, but just ranting here. So much I'd like to do but too hot! Grrrrr. Your way of coping with the heat as a gardener??

Comments (23)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

With all the rain we've had recently it's the humidity that gets to me the worst. I just take short breaks into the air conditioning while guzzling cold water. Haven't gotten to the point of using the crushed ice filled pillow slip yet, but soon.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

That's what I do too, go sit in the air conditioning with a fan blowing on my face. Never stay out if you feel faint or start getting a pounding headache. Those were my symptoms prior to heat exhaustion.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I am one of those people who is not bothered too much by the heat, but I take frequent breaks, not into air conditioning, but to a shady area in my garden where the wind blows a lot, It is very refreshing to sit there with water or iced tea and just let the wind blow on you. I agree with Pam that if you are affected by the heat, take all precautions to NOT get too hot. Agree with Roselee as well, that the humidity is worse than just plain ole heat.

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

agree that it was the humidity, added to the heat that really got me.

I look at the thermometer and it is only 92! and I KNOW another 10 degrees is probable for the rest of the summer. Just a sense of panic after the recent summers, but what ya going to do?? The 70 degree days in February make up for it, I do know.

Good luck out there! And yes, the rain, and it is coming again today, is a good thing.

I just see SO much I want to do. I am sure y'all are the same!! And just don't have the woman power to do it anymore, and I am only 52!!

Happy Gardening!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Yes, to me fifty two is young. I sound like my mother ... lol. Whatever age I was she would say, "Sixty (or whatever age I was) is young!" She lived with an intact mind until age 93. The interesting thing is that I developed more strength and stamina as I got older. It was at about your age that I learned how to eat better, (I was reactive to a lot of foods including gluten and refined sugar) reduced tension by meditating and reading uplifting material, and getting in better health overall.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I had heat exhaustion one time and since then it doesn't take much for me to overheat. I take a lot of breaks, and sit in the shade rather than go inside. The heat bothers me more if I come out of the a/c. Lots of water and a wet towel around my neck and I wipe my face with it often too. I also wear a big hat.

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good advise all! Rosalee, I do think it is dawning on me to take better care of my health, funny it hit you at a similar age! Martin, a hat makes a big difference to me, too!

Another rainy day today! An odd summer!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I think it's called mid-life crisis ... :-) After being rode hard and put up wet (as the saying goes in Texas) we suddenly realize we're not going to be young forever and see the need to preserve what we've got left the best we can. It works!

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

I set my alarm an hour earlier, so I'm finished with my coffee and ready to get started by daylight, because after lunch, and my nap, I'm not going to do anything out there.
    Jim

• southofsa
    10 years ago

Jim I want to be you when I grow up :-)

Lisa

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

I've been doing like Jim, making myself get up early and out before the sun is up, and can't believe how much better I feel after even just an hour or two in the garden; and it's getting done, ever so slowly!

And I'm the same way, after that nap in the afternoon, no way am I going out there to work again, lol!

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Ha! Ha! Lisa! If gardening and grand kids are enough to keep you happy, you will love the life I lead.
    Jim

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

Yes, too hot to garden is right! I do less in the garden during June, July and August, and that little bit of work is always done before 10a.m., with the exception of watering my plant containers in the evening.
    Molly

• luvs2plant
    10 years ago

Heh. DH & I went out @ >6:30It not the heat, it's the bloody humidity!!!! We do things in short spurts and since temps have begun touching the 90s, will avoid most outside activity between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m......unless it's sitting on the porch w/ a big glass of iced tea. :)

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

I no longer need an alarm clock as my body gets me up anywhere from 5-7am very lucky if I sleep past 8am even if I do not go to bed b4 1. I cook, clean house, garden if my body and the weather agree with me. I have started some seedling for fall planting as the snails love tender shoots. I use my computer to keep in touch with family and friends, check the weather, news and of course gardening websites. Yes naps anytime during the day depending on what my body wants me to do? As my front flower bed is outside my window near my computer I get to enjoy what ever is blooming at the time. My 4 legged buddies keep my entertained. My garden is not large as my yard in the middle of the circle, but at my age it is more than enough as I would keep trying to add more. Finding this site has been a great blessing and the exchanges wonderful along with family and friends. Also the plants have added not only to the beauty around my yard but have also help keep my home cooler during the summer months now that we seem to stay in the 90+ temps each day.

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Pretty, pretty back yard, wally! What are the large leaved plants, a vegetable?

My life sounds very similar to yours, computer is in front of front window, so can see just what's going on in our little court, get a kick out of the squirrels chasing each other around the oak tree, and every once in a while a sighting of the rabbits that live in the neighborhood.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

The large leaves are from the butternut squash seeds I threw out early this spring. My wife loves butternut squash so I end up with way too many seeds each year. I ended up with a 40 feet of plants. Just harvested 2 for her butternut squash soup that she loves. I know I have at least 4 more to harvest if no more are hidden under the leaves. I will harvest them as needed. Last year they started too late and I ended up with one immature squash. It must have been the nice wet early spring we had this year. We are now running about 97 day temps.

• greybird
    10 years ago

Did you just move to Texas? It is always hot in the summer. At least you are getting rains. We are still in exceptional drought since March 2011.
    Try getting up before sun-up, between 5-5:30am and work until it gets hot.
    I used to hate humidity. Now I pray for it, at least it is some form of moisture.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Greybird,
    Sorry to hear that your exceptional drought continues. How are you coping with the lack of water? Nothing like trying to garden in dust to make you feel cranky, huh?

This post was edited by pkponder on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 6:46

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

106 tomorrow predicted. And a 50% off sale to attend. Tough combination!! Good tips everyone. That afternoon nap sounds perfect, Jim. Ok, early up...nap.

• scottiegee
    10 years ago

I do what I can until it gets too hot for me, then I just water stuff until the fall. Only the toughest survive. I can only run the sprinklers once a week from midnight until 7 a.m. So weeding, mulching, etc. all gets done before May.

I stay inside when it's hot and pin garden photos of places where it's lush - like Northern CA, Washington, Vermont, etc.

Luckily, I get another chance to garden in the fall and winter. That's our reward for hot summers.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I get up before dawn on Sundays and pull weeds and stuff -- only time here (El Paso) that it's do-able.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!