Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
max_moon

Asking about a plant to cover a desert/rocky slope

max_moon
11 years ago

I am looking for a plant that would climb and cover a steep desert/rocky slope. I am thinking of extending ropes to have it climb up the slope. Alternatively, the plant could be put on top of slope and it grows downward.

Would you be generous enough to advise?

My area is very hot in the summer and mild in the winter.

Comments (10)

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

max_moon:

what part of TX? we've got several climates in this state

also, you might find information you're looking for in one of the following other forums:
    hillside
    rock
    southwestern
    xeriscaping

~ freshair

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Amy, I took a look at her page and it says she lives in Canada..............

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Maurandya antirrhiniflora Or roving sailor. It won't be a thick coverage more like a rambling coverage. catclaw vine. Merremia aurea (sp?) also known as Yuca vine.. Cross vine is pretty waterwise.

• Gardener972
    11 years ago

Most sedums will do great. I have some that I never water in the summer and it survives year after year.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Good idea, Gardener972 .Only be selctive of your sedums. Further south and west of Dallas, only a few sedums will survive in the sun. Most need some extra water and shade and many will burn up. Sedum palmerii is a great draper and rooter and looks beautiful on a rock drop, is hardy to 0 and will survive in the worst drought. It does well in part shade and sun.. Sedum hispanicum will burn up. We do have some native stonecrops that are great.

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    11 years ago

I would go with Angels Trumpets (Acleisanthes spp.) planted at the top of the slope. These have white flowers that open at night.

Ty

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I have a plant that grows in my yard that would be perfect. Its some type of giant portulaca. I bought it about 7 years ago in a hanging basket from Lowes. It comes back every year, not like the normal small bloom portulaca. It has beautiful nonstop blooming flowers, grows about 6 inches tall. Doesn't require much water, and likes full sun. I think if you went to a nursery they could tell you what it is. If you come to Rockport I can give you a start, it grows really fast, with little effort. The flowers are a dark pink color, but they may have other colors by now. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I looked up the name of the plant I have its a Giant Bicolor Radiance Portulaca. I bought it around 2006 or 2007. It has survived the freezes of 2009, and 2010. Good luck, you might even try the new mini oyster plants, I really like the way they look in my heat loving garden. They are tight, not like the regular oyster plant that go all over the place. Barbra

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I just looked that up and says it reseeds.........does yours do that, Barbra, as they may not be hardy for me? I am going to look for that plant if it does.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Carrie I do not know for sure, but it really spreads fast. It may reseed, I have not been paying attention. I took a picture of some of it yesterday, I will try to go to Kathys so she can post it, so you can see for yourself. I just know that I did not loose it in our record breaking freezes.. I can just take a piece of it and put in another fowerbed, and in 2 or 3 weeks it the size of a bushel basket. Barbra

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living