Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moogies_gw

How do I waterproof the plug on my fountain?

moogies
16 years ago

I am installing a very small fountain with a 120V pump. I'd like to run a heavy duty, outdoor grade,50' extension cord along the edge of our wrap-around porch to the plug of the fountain. The extension cord will plug into a GFCI outlet on the 12' deep porch with a waterproof cover. (this outlet never gets wet)

My question is - how do I make the fountain cord plug/extension cord outlet waterproof? Is there any kind of staked housing that can be purchased to safely enclose this connection?

I've been googling and have come up with nothing like this - and it seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to do.

I appreciate any help that ya'll can give me!

Kathi

This has also been posted on the Garden Accoutrements Forum and the Landscape Forum

Comments (13)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I heard the same advice 'new in texas' is giving you when I looked into the same question somewhere besides TXGW. Extension cords are dangerous apparently. They suggested(over and over!) having a permanent cord put in to where it's needed it by a licenced electrician. The biggest danger is death by electrocution. Wish there was an easier way myself! PJ

• debndal
    16 years ago

The longest cord I've ever found for a small fountain pump is 16', so that would mean your fountain would only being 16 feet from the outlet on your patio. That's what I use for my container water garden, and having it that close to the patio makes it alot easier to add water, which with a small fountain you will likely have to do 1-2 times a day with the heat and the birds bathing.

• cynthianovak
    16 years ago

aren't those heavy-duty outdoor extension cords any good?

she says who finds that fountains have the shortest cords ever! I had an outlet put in on the outside of my house just about 2 feet from one fountain and I need a short extension cord to make it work...grrrr.

cynthia

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Where'd you find the pump with the 16' cord!!! PJ

• debndal
    16 years ago

PJ, I got my pump with the 16' cord either at HD or Walmart or Lowe's - I don't remember for sure which. I found it really early in the season last year - they probably sell out pretty fast because of the long cord. It's a Beckett Model 130.
    Here's a place you could order online if you need one.
    http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb1/page_2228_321/beckett_m130__130_gph_fountain_pump.html

• moogies
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My husband bought the fountain for my birthday - I set it up this morning and you're right - the cord is about 5' long!! We have a wrap-around porch so I had to go with a 50' cord, since I didn't want to run the cord across the porch. I found a waterproof housing here for extension cords:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/11529

I have it set up temporarily - just to be sure the pump worked and all. I may get an estimate from an electrician to see how much it would be to have an outlet installed. The fountain was only $100 on sale - I'm sure the electrician will be much more...

I just don't understand why they put such short cords on outdoor fountains! Who wants to place such a focal point based on where an outlet is?

Grrrr....

Kathi

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden fountain

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Oooo Kathi where did you get that fountain? I love it!

• moogies
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michelle- Thank you! I got it at Walmart on Hwy 377 (next to the Hwy 114 intersection) near Trophy Club. It was marked $135 but rang up at $100. When I went back this morning (to buy flowers to plant around mine), they'd marked them all $100. I believe there were 2 or 3 left. I noticed it's not listed on Walmart.com.

Kathi

• moogies
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michelle- sorry I just realized that you're down in the San Antonio area so I guess my directions weren't much help.

Anyway - check the Walmart there - I hope you find one. :)

Kathi

• tim_group
    13 years ago

I found a waterproof extension cord cover at a greenhouse site. Looks like it will allow you to run an extension cord to a fountain without having to worry about it getting wet. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extension Cord Cover

• mcbrains_cox_net
    12 years ago

I have the same problem and started looking this morning. I just happened to find this and thought I'd share. I don't know anything about it, quality wise, but it definately meets the need! Anyway, here's a link to one I found on Amazon.com with a 50 foot cord.

Here is a link that might be useful: Submersible Fountain Pump w/ 50ft Cord

• PRO
    E-Front Media
    8 years ago

There is a company that makes gaskets for outdoor extension cords. They keep water out of the connection. They have worked great for me. http://www.rainblock.net

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm