Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscaping questions for Austin area gardeners

Posted by srilunewgardener (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 18:00

Hi All,
I am planning to build raised beds in my garden. I live in Round Rock. Please let me know where can I buy supplies. What material should I use for raised beds? Wood or bricks? Where can I buy good organic soil mix in bulk for growing vegetable. Please let me know.
Thank you,
Srilu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscaping questions for Austin area gardeners

I use the Natural Gardener for my bulk dirt needs but they are on the south side of town. I don't know the nurseries on your side. Does anyone up there carry Gardenville products?

o

Hi Srilu

The best material for raised beds depends on what you are planting. My vegetable garden raised beds are two stacked rows of concrete block with flat blocks on top because it is so sturdy and long lasting.

I use rocks to edge flower beds because it looks more natural and works with the house. If you have a brick home you might want to match it or do something similar to the neighbors especially in the front yard.

o

We've bought soil and landscaping rocks from a place off I35 just north of Round Rock (just past the outlet mall). It may be called Austin Landscaping or something like that. Make sure you don't use railroad ties as they're covered in creosote.

o

Try Whittlesey Landscaping Supplies. They are located on the northbound side of I-35 just south of La Frontera. The best way for you would probably be to take I-35 south, exit Grand Avenue, U-turn, and catch it further up the frontage road.

They have a good selection and prices seem reasonable. I use them for most of my landscaping needs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here