Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Anyone here have their garden wild life certified?

Just wondering if anyone here has a wild life certified garden and just what it entails to qualifiy and from whom. I saw a copy of a qualification form on a blog, but don't remember which blog. What would be the benefits of being certified if any?

Comments (9)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Hi Rose, I don't know if this is what you're looking for. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: garden

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    11 years ago

The backyard of our property in Bayview is certified as a Best of Texas Backyard Habitat. This isn't too difficult to achieve as long as your garden features mostly native plants. It also helps if you do not mind if portions of the yard return to a more natural (i.e. unkempt) state. The benefits are essentially intangible, but you will receive a year-long subscription to the NWF magazine.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Best of Texas Backyard Habitats

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I do, Roselee, have been since the mid ninties. I got my app from the State of Texas, and the requirements at that time were to have enough vegetation for them to have a natural habitat and a good supply of water. There was nothing required about native plants in the one I certified with. It has been such a long time ago, but I think it was the Parks and Wildlife that issued the certification. I will look at my sign on my gate tomorrow if it is still legible. I did so because I love my wildlife and wished to make a good home for them.

• lucas_tx_gw
    11 years ago

I also have the best of Texas which Ty mentioned. Aside from the general feeling of altruism the concrete benefit is that you get a free NWF membership for a year.

I didn't order any signs but will do so one of these days...;-)

Teri

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Roselee, took a look at my gate sign and it says Texas Parks and Wildlife and underneath that it has Nongame and Urban ..........hope this helps.
    Teri, my sign came with my membership.

• jabee
    11 years ago

I've been certified for 13 years and I'm also a volunteer Habitat Steward. If anyone wants some help or tips for getting certified you can email me through my website below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hill Country Gardens

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great information. I guess getting certified helps the gardener and all who see the sign to become more aware of what it takes for the birds and bees and butterflies, etc. to be happy in our yards.

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Roselee ~ I was just going to say the same thing: going trough the process of completing the application helps you identify your habitat's strengths & weaknesses. My primary weakness seems to be water.

Carrie ~ The current application (at some point) says that a majority of the plants need to be native. They even say "your region of Texas", so my Vasey Oak wouldn't count since its a West Texas species.

It seems the Best of Texas that Ty linked to is in conjunction with the NWF. There's also a Certified Butterfly Habitat through the Texas Discovery Gardens that has similar requirements.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I suppose I had enough natives to qualify, but I don't remember their stressing that as much as habitation areas of protection and water. They were very specific about these two.