Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Question about Souvenir de la Malmaison

ruthz
11 years ago

I'm trying to decide on where to plant my Souvenir de la Malmaison rose, and would like to know if any of you grow one in dappled sun/shade.

It's a bright area, just not complete sun.

I hope to get it planted tomorrow.

Comments (27)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Souv. de la Malmaison's only fault is that it tends to get powerdy mildew if not in full morning sun. It may get some P.M. during the spring season even then.

You might get by with dappled sun in the afternoons, but it needs early sun to dry its leaves or it will suffer and look bad.

Sorry. It certainly is a beautiful rose.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I have one in these conditions. Actually Souvi is happiest in teh spring when the pecan trees and myrtles that shade her are leafless. I look at my stunted rose and think about moving her each fall. I don't because I love her fragrance so much I want to have the perfect spot.

She has been where she is for at least 6 years and she is only about 2 ft tall. She does lose her leaves a little. She will make it to 3 ft but compared to her full sun glorious self it is just plain sad. :+(

• ruthz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't get the climbing one. Chamblee's and ARE list the height as 3' to 4'.
    Okay, I'm going to look for a different spot to plant it, so it will get more sun.
    Thanks for the info.

• weldontx
    11 years ago

I've had mine over 5 yrs and really like her. The height will be closer to 4 feet when mature and 5 - 6 feet wide. She is on the south side of a sweet gum tree so gets shade on one side and sun on the other. She will ball if she gets too wet. but A BEAUTIFUL ROSE. also look into Francis Dubreuil - a dark red fragrant old rose. Just got mine in the spring from Chamblee's and he's growing well.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Weldon, I got Francis Dubreuil at Chamblee's in the fall and I do like it. I love the color and fragrance.
    I have it in a pot and think maybe it would be growing bigger in the ground, but for now will leave it in the pot.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

I'm planning on moving my SDLM either this Fall or next February; she is causing her neighbors to become lopsided. She will most likely end up in full sun.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

ogrose
    When you move her. Will you cut her way back? Would you offer any advice?
    thank you
    c

• weldontx
    11 years ago

ogrose, SDLM will really pout when you move her, and yes, you will need to prune her back some. I predict that it will be two years or more before you get normal bloom. But , hey, what does and old guy know????

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Betcha I'm older than you, weldon, lol! I moved my Maggie a few years back, cut her way back and that's exactly what she did, sulked for two years, now seems much happier. I cut my Alfred de Carriere WAY back when moved, she didn't miss a beat, go figure!

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Oops, wait a minute, Ruth, think I misunderstood! Is your rose in the ground or still in the pot? If not planted in the ground yet, you don't have to cut back.

The only other thing I can suggest is that if at all possible, can you wait until Fall to plant or move? These triple digit temps are not the greatest for planting roses, although it can be done. But a better possibility for the plant if it's cooler.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Cynthia, if you wait until winter to move Souv. de la Mal. and get a fair sized root ball I don't think you'd have to cut it back much at all, maybe just a fourth or less. Also one can remove all the foliage when moving roses so they don't loose moisture through the leaves while they are growing the little feeder roots back.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ogrose, yes the rose is still in the pot. I just bought it a few weeks ago and was trying to decide where to put it.
    I already had my hole dug in partial shade when I decided to post this. I'm glad I asked because now I'll put it in a spot that gets more sun.
    I decided this morning to leave it in a pot until fall so I can work on improving the soil in that area.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Ruth, that's a great idea, will make all the difference in the world (like we want to get out there to "improve our soil" in this weather, right, lol!

When I first started planting roses I didn't improve the soil, and wondered why I wasn't having luck at all.

When I keep roses in pots over the summer I try to keep them in light shade, and check the pots often for water.

Good luck, I think you'll love this rose!

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

Thanks Roselee and ogrose
    I will find a better place for Souvi! And I will move her in winter.

c

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Can anyone tell if this is actually a Souvenir de la malmaison?

I got 5 to 8 years ago it was labeled as a souvenir. I got 2 at the time. Neither grew well in full sun iN zone 7 A.. They Reached maybe 18 inches tall scraggly. Never produced more than 4 roses a year. But fragrance was delicious and the Only reason I kept trying to grow them.

Blooms were flesh colored when I got them.

Last summer I gave up and ran both over with a mower.

This picture is what has grow this Spring 2016 only. And it's Loaded with Buds. After all these years it finally astounds me! So does a true souv. Bloom on new wood only? Or is this something else. And the Color is so rich too.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    7 years ago

I don't see a picture. To post a picture click on the photo icon at the bottom of the message box which will take you to your files. Click on the file you want, and then the photo, and then click 'open' and the photo should appear.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That is not Souvenir de la malmaison. The color looks like my Country Dancer or one I used to have, Hi Neighbor.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    7 years ago

That's a pretty rose, but it doesn't look like S de la M to me either. Click on the photo tab to see lots of photos of Souvenir de la Malmaison.

You say your rose was flesh colored when you got it and last year you ran over it with the lawn mower. It may have come back from the root stock. Dr. Huey is a common root stock which blooms on new wood in the spring, but your rose looks too pink for Dr. Huey. Other common root stocks bloom white and pale pink. So far it's a mystery ... :-)

• ruthz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

When we moved in this house a long time ago, there were a couple of white rose bushes. I think the name was something with snow in it. After a few years I started seeing red roses along with the white. Now it's nothing but red Dr Huey.

I think I read somewhere that Ragged Robin is sometimes used for root stock and it can be that color but it's not that full. Here is a picture of my Ragged Robin.

• User
    7 years ago

Hi, everyone. Thank you all for responding.

Yep. I was thinking it may be from a root stock too. The other bush has been run over to and it's starting to grow to but it's just now a few inches tall. So I have no clue what these are. The vigorous one in picture has some good fragrance but Nothing like it use to have. It is a very pretty shade and the buds are growing along the entire stems like in pictures of a rambler. If it keeps growing at this fast of a pace I will be thrilled. I've always wanted very large bushes that are exceptionally fragrant.

• User
    7 years ago

? Souvenir de la malmaison

• User
    7 years ago

• User
    7 years ago

All this growth since feb. 2016

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    7 years ago

Wow, that is a lot of growth in a short time. With its leaf form, fragrance and blooming in clusters it looks like an 'antique' or 'old rose'; just not S de la M..

Try to get some clear photos of the flowers, leaves, stems, thorns and whole bush and ask on the Antique Rose Forum. They are very good at naming roses. There is a 'Name This Rose' forum, but it doesn't look like there is much activity there right now.

• User
    7 years ago

• User
    7 years ago