Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halle25335

Can I plant a Blue Spruce in Zone 9?

halle25335
14 years ago

I just moved from Michigan to Texas and will be going back to MI to make my final move of stuff. One item I really want to bring back to TX is a 3' Blue Spruce. This was planted in honor of my parents who recently passed away. I would love to be able to see this tree out my patio windows. However in researching Blue Spruces, it states that they grow best in Zones 3 to 8. Do you think it cannot tolerate the heat here in Zone 9, Spring, TX? We are near Houston. Or do you think I should just leave it in Michigan. I don't want to kill it......

Thank you all....

Halle'

Comments (18)

• allen_gw
    14 years ago

sorry it cant take the heat, I moved from Ohio and tried it and lost it Allen

• prairiepaintbrush
    14 years ago

When they say zone 8, they mean the pacific northwest. We can't grow them in DFW either. Sorry.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

Plant it in a place your parents loved, Maybe a park or a school will have it and care for it.......Or any relative in the neighborhood. Texas is not the place for it.

• coque
    13 years ago

I have seen them in our zone BUT just a few. I just came from Ruidoso NM and was at nursery there. She said that she had a customer from Houston who purchased one from her and kept it in his garage or some cool area for a year before he planted it. She said he told her it was doing great. He told her that he gradually moved it to a warmer area. I'd love one, too. I think they are the prettiest trees ever....

Coque near Waco....

• justintx
    13 years ago

Clay, alkaline soil and the heat stack the deck against you. If Spring's soil is more acidic, and drains better, maybe you stand a chance, but I don't know of anyone south of Amarillo having real success. I tried here north of DFW and will soon pull the 2nd (and last attempt) at a blue spruce. I tried several other spruce species from around the world, too - no luck. Maybe that's why God put them where he did,huh?

• beachplant
    13 years ago

You can plant it and it can die. If it grows in Michigan it's gonna hate Texas.

We have a plant trade at Mercer arboreteum this fall, look on the exchange page for the date. Come and join us. You'll have a blast. Don't worry if you don't have anything to trade, several of us always bring extras and we'll be glad to have you.
    Tally HO!

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

There was a huge one growing nicely in our neighborhood until the house was sold and the new owners didn't water it. It started turning brown and they tried to limb it up like a regular tree and it died. I could have cried since I admired it every day on my way back and forth to work. Had I known at the time the house was sold I would have stopped and told them it needed much more water than other trees here. It can be done but the people that had it before took really great care of it since it was a mature tree when I moved here and it lived at least 5 years after that until it was butchered. Saw the same happen to a beautiful pine tree. People just don't realize some trees here have to have really deep watering and don't ever adjust to our lack of rainfall like the native trees do.

• dn98z28_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Ok, we all know that as soon as someone says "it won't live here" someone else will tell you they've had one for 25 years. I have two properties, one in east Dallas and one in NE Texas 11 miles south of the Red River (Oklahoma). I planted two 4 ft. tall Baby Blue Eyes Colorado Blue Spruces in my back yard in Dallas in 2004. One is now 10 feet tall and the other is 9 feet. They are on the south side of a large old pecan tree so they get afternoon shade and I keep them well mulched. In 2005 I planted two Fat Alberts which I purchased at a local nursery brave enough to order them in. They were each about 3 1/2 feet tall in 5 gallon containers. Both are healthy and about five feet tall. In NE Texas I have planted Hoopsi, Fat Albert, Weeping White, White and aerospicata. They have been in the ground two years and would be doing great if it weren't for the east Texas Pine belt version of the Southern Pine Beetle attacking them. I have been treating them with Merit in hopes of protecting them this season. I have seen several Blue Spruce trees in the Dallas area north of I-30 and east of I-35. Usually where experienced people are willing to "take care" of them, they will not only live but will satisfy that longing we conifer lovers all crave to have satisfied. They need to be in well drained areas with some afternoon shade and heavily mulched. I have sprinkled granulated sulfer over the area every 2-3 years. Most conifer enthusiasts with "Spruce experience" in Dallas will tell you that it's possible to get 25 years out of a tree that is well cared for by its owner. I also have some nice Chameacyparis, Deodara and Blue Atlas Cedars. Of course, ANY Juniper will thrive here. I have a Gold Cone and lots of Mother Load that shine YELLOW. Italian Cypress, standard and Swanes Gold, are a nice contrast with blue pfitzer junipers. I have lots of folks asking me about those too... Dallas has several microcosms that allow us to plant a wide variety of conifers. So, yes, Spruce will live if you are patient and willing and do the research needed to plant it in the right spot. If not, then, no. You will kill it if you plant it and depend on nature to do the rest they way most Texans do with Live Oaks, Bradford Pears and Crepe Myrtles. I think I enjoy my conifers the most when we get snow three or four times a year and they really make us look like a winter wonderland! Good luck!

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

I'm too lazy to mess with pine/spruce in TX. I think the prettiest conifer is bald cypress. Weeping bald cypress are smaller but oh my they are gorgeous.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

Deodar Cedar is a very good pick for Texas.. Gorgeous tree. also Montezuma cypress is good for a drier situation than the bald cypress.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deodar Cedar

• greybird
    12 years ago

I have a blue spruce I planted back in 1998, about 2 feet tall at the time. It is now 5 feet tall, has a perfect christmas tree shape. Planted on the north side of an outbulding, is an understory tree now that the chinkapin oak has outgrown it. Doesn't get much water. Cardinals nest in it every year. I will try to post a picture when I get time.

• babesy
    12 years ago

TO: Anyone who wants to adopt a failing Blue Spruce

I don't know what kind, it was left here on the deck when we moved in. Owner had quite the green thumb, but I think the heat here in Greenville is the culprit.

It is beginning to get tinges of brown on each tiny section of branch. I'd estimate this tree at less than 10 years, maybe 5 or so. It's good sized in a huge pot.

Has always had water, but not too much.

I hate to see it die, if anyone wants a crack at it, you're more than welcome.

Thanks,
    Babesy

• scotjute Z8
    12 years ago

There was one growing in Z8 Killeen by a church. Used to drive by to look at it once in a while. It grew very little but had good shape and color. It died this past summer during the drought and record heat. It sounds as if those who have had luck with Blue Spruce down here either gave it afternoon shade or planted it on the north side of a bldg. and gave it extra water. By creating a sort of micro-climate for the tree it was able to survive and grow. Sort of like trees growing on the north side of a mountain.
    Arizona Cypress is a blue tree that will do well in the drier parts of Texas for those interested.

• rideboard147
    11 years ago

Greybird could you post the pic of your spruce? I would love to see it. I am trying a few spruces out myself right now. I learned a lot from Don.

• Daniel Sanchez
    last year

Hello everyone. I hope it’s alright to comment on an almost decade old post, but I am attempting to grow some Spruce Trees in the Rio Grande Valley. They are Black Hills Spruce and were purchased from Tractor Supply. They are about 2ft tall in 2gal containers. Any tips to keeping them alive (in pots for at least the first full year or two) would be appreciated. I have peat moss, kellog’s organic soil, and promix with mycorrhizae all set to mix to create a substrate for them. Last year I bought a small Dwarf Alberta Spruce from Walmart (1gal) and I was able to keep it alive until around August or so of this year. Hopefully I have better luck with these trees.

Danny

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    last year

You might want to also start your own thread also. I hope that it is not too hot for it in the Valley. Did you buy them as a christmas tree?

• HU-78214880
    8 months ago

We just planted a Blue Spruce, about 18 inches tall deep in the Mojave Desert of Joshua Tree.

rich sandy soil of the Chaparral at 3,000 ft,.

water rung around it, giving it a gallon a day.

Temperatures are iver 100°, humidity under 20%, usually under 10%, 4-5% common.

In 2 months we have 2 inches of new blue branch growth (tree is green).

This week I will start watering evry 5 days, and letting it go deep (great drainage) forcing deeper roots.

It is in a shallow arroyo that dies not ever ”wash out“, and retains deeper moisture.

We have 5 native desrt firs that are thriving after 2 years also.

The Spruce will be our only non-native…no danger of it becoming ”invasive”.

We out thought into it.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz