Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name this plant?

Posted by anniecat (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 18:52

This odd plant is in an uncultivated area on the west side of Fort Worth. Any ideas on what it is?

And to complete my quest for learning, what are the insects on the lower pod?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name this plant?

Asclepias asperula or Antelope Horns Milkweed. Its the host plant for caterpillars.

o

Phoenix, you are awesome! What a wealth of plant info. Thank you for identifying my 2 mystery plants today.

o

I am not sure about the bug's name, but they birth inside the cracked seedpods. I do not see any damage from these bugs when the age. They seem to disappear.

o

That explains why the bugs were only on the older damaged pod. No bugs on the intact pod. Interesting! Thank you, wantonamara.

o

Monarch butterflies

o

The monarch caterpillars are on there also but not in the numbers that theses bugs are. I was just out collecting seed for someone and I was up close and had ti chase the little guys out more than once. The pods crack open and then hang for a bit before they crack open further and the seeds fly in the wind. I have a lot of these in my field. They are one of my most favorite flower.

asclepias asperula

o

I forgot to mention that the plant disappears as the summer progresses. orange aphids also like it

o

I'm pretty sure those are Black and Orange Milkweed Bugs and the following is part of an article I kept when I learned of these bugs years ago

The Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar has a symbiotic relationship with these bugs. No self-respecting bird would eat the Milkweed Bugs, so the caterpillar remains relatively safe until it becomes a butterfly, a butterfly which, because it eats milkweed, is distasteful to birds.

o

I'm pretty sure those are Black and Orange Milkweed Bugs and the following is part of an article I kept when I learned of these bugs years ago

The Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar has a symbiotic relationship with these bugs. No self-respecting bird would eat the Milkweed Bugs, so the caterpillar remains relatively safe until it becomes a butterfly, a butterfly which, because it eats milkweed, is distasteful to birds.

o

very very interesting.

o

Very interesting! Love knowing how it all fits together in the grand scheme.

o

Nature is truly amazing, lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here