Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

No, I didn't kill it. But I caught it and relocated it.

I posted a month or two ago about my eggplants getting pirated by grey squirrels. Covered my eggplant with netting, and ended up getting a squirrel tangled in it. The squirrel did not survive, for some reason. R.I.P.

But then another one went after my tomatoes. I'd go out into the yard and every day or two find a BIG green tomato, with bites out of it, out on the lawn in front of the garden. OK, this is war! I surrounded the tomatoes with chicken netting, but they still found ways in. Finally, I decided to trap it.

I did some research on the web, and found this seemingly clever idea of suspending a toilet paper roll with peanut butter smeared on it over a bucket. Better yet, I tried suspending it over a garbage bin. Ha. Instead of stupidly jumping on the bait and rolling into the bin like I was told it would do, the squirrel perched on the side, and reached out for the peanut butter. Got the peanut butter, and ran off. That didn't work. Maybe I have smarter squirrels than in other parts of the country.

I'm too cheap to go out and BUY a trap.

So then I took a cat carrier, with a hinged door, and spring loaded the door with several big rubber bands. I propped the door open with a dowel inside the carrier. The dowel pushed against one of the joints on the gridwork on the wire door. VERY delicate. You brush against the dowel, the door springs shut, and you're trapped!

Well, I baited it with peanut butter, and BOOM. Got 'em.

Relocated it in a park a mile away. BTW, if you do this in June, that's after weaning time, so it's not as if it's leaving babies behind.

Some lessons here. First and foremost, peanut butter is absolutely awesome squirrel bait. They can smell it, and they get hooked. They MUST MUST have it. With good bait, you have many options.

OK, some other squirrel will just move in. But I have the impression that this particular one had a taste for tomatoes. Good riddance.

Comments (3)