Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Please ID some plants from 'sunnysa's' garden ...

"Sunnysa" Irene would like a couple of her plants identified.

She received this one at a plant swap. The leaves are dark green, and rather rough and stiff ...

This one has large leaves. I thought it looked like a Confederate rose, but I don't remember the new leaves being curled before they opened fully ...

A closer look at the curled leaves which eventually will open flat ...

Neither one has bloomed yet. Any ideas?

Thank you!

By the way, there is a photo post of 'sunnysa' Irene and Doug's garden on the Texas Gallery.

Comments (8)

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

I have no idea about the first one but I agree the second one look like a single confederate rose.

Omar

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Hi girls, the top looks like a loquat to me and I agree with the confederate rose. The curling could be a water problem. Was it happening before the rain?

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Yes, I've googled the Confederate Rose ID of the second one, and that is exactly how it looks. I found it on the "Garden Guides" site. Thanks Omar and Jolana. It says it will bloom the first year and I'm so happy about that. If it does bloom, that would give us a positive ID.

The leaves have always opened up like that, even before the rain. Would it be a lack of water or too much water? We've had a lot of rain, lately.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I would guess lack of water, there were large stands of them in east Texas and some leaves were curled and it was during the drought

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since it can grow to tree size where it doesn't freeze back maybe it wants to spread its roots to give itself more water and nutrition which might prevent the curling leaves. It's a beautiful flowering shrub in San Antonio. I used to have it. I think 'Plantmaven' Kathy grows it. Thanks for the help toward identification.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some google images of Confederate Rose ...

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Thanks, Jolana, for the watering tips and to everyone who provided responses and links. It certainly is a beautiful plant and images of the bloom are really gorgeous. Thanks to the person at the Fall Swap that gave it to me, too. I'm loving it. I may not know the names of all the plants, but I'm getting there, lol.

Ok.... I brought out the first one to take a brighter picture instead of it being all bunched in and..... do you see what I see? Way down in the pot is a little window blind tag that says, "Red Cestrum!" Yippee! I now love window blind tags... who knew? Again, thanks to the person who gave this plant at the swap and who so thoughtfully tagged it for a dummy like me!

A huge thanks to Roselee, too! You have been so very helpful!

This post was edited by sunnysa on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 10:56

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Cool, I know nothing about them but going to google. Glad you found out

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh how funny! I have red cestrum but didn't recognize it. I got it from a SABG sale about a year and a half ago. Mine is in a very large pot, doesn't like full sun, bloomed in Feb/March a year ago after a mild winter, and none during the summer. It froze back last winter, has grown back to it's former size, but has not bloomed this year.

Jim grows it or has grown it. Maybe he'll offer some more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red cestrum on Google ...