Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyfox

Garden Swap Site www.ftworthgardenswap.com

mommyfox
14 years ago

Hi guys,

As most of you know, this is Julie aka Mommyfox, and I've had the honor of hosting the garden swap site that we tried out the last couple of times for the Fort Worth Garden Swap held each spring and fall: www.ftworthgardenswap.com. It seemed to work pretty well for those who were willing to learn it, but the site caused inexplicable drama and seemed to divide people more than bring us together. I don't know if I ruffled some feathers or stepped on some toes or tweaked noses or what, and frankly I think it's best to all be left in the past.

Plus, that $5 a month adds up after awhile! I figure, if it's not being a good and positive thing, then I shouldn't be pushing it. So it was a fun experiment, and perhaps with more solidarity something to be explored in the future. But for now I'm shutting it down. I hope you guys who used the site enjoyed it. See you all at the fall swap!

Love and Luck,

Julie/Mommyfox

Comments (9)

• denisew
    14 years ago

Julie - I haven't participated in the Ft. Worth garden swap and that is great that you tried to use a website to bring people together. Sometimes there are trolls out there who no matter what will ruin things for someone who has nothing but good intentions.

I don't know which hosting service you were using, but just fyi - I use 1&1 (link below) for my web hosting for my garden club and it is only about two dollars a month for their basic service. I upload using ftp in Filezilla - it uploads really fast. Anyway, I just wanted to pass that onto you if you ever want to give it another try in the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: web hosting link

• mommyfox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Denise! I'll check it out.

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Julie, I liked it but I noticed that some bozo went in there one day and filled it up with crapola. That was really crummy. For the 'old guard' who always come to the swaps it was a really fun site. I don't blame you for not keeping it going now though since no one seems to use it in the 'off season'. I posted a couple times but never got responses so I could tell no one was using it. I think you're a real peach for doing it though. Cheryl

• barefoot_in_texas
    14 years ago

I second what seamommy expressed.

• Deb Chickenmom
    14 years ago

Julie, Thank you so much for all the work you did to set up the site. I have only gotten to attend one swap--last November, but the site was terrific for exchanging ideas about trades. Sometimes it seems like whoever contributes the most gets the most nonsense from those who have no concept of the work involved. You are appreciated by the vast majority of those who used the site I am sure, so don't let the jerks get you down!! Debby

• prairiepaintbrush
    14 years ago

Some people just need drama to survive, mommyfox. Chin up!

• mikeb1206
    14 years ago

Thanks for all you did with the site, it made it easier for me the last 2 meets. I hope this makes your life and pocket book easier.

Mike

• serenitymoon
    14 years ago

I too loved using the forum format as it did make it easier and faster to find and post about the swap. It is terrible that anyone would do that just to cause trouble.

I do not have any answers to the problem as I am a computer illeterate. Of the other forums I frequent, they do have various part that are protected unless the administraters allows any one person in. I haven't a clue just how hard or spendy that kind of board is.

I appreciated what you did and looking forward to the fall swap coming up, yippee.

• mommyfox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, let's be fair, I don't think anyone said anything out of meanness or a desire to cause drama. It's just a difference of opinion on how these things ought to work, and I don't harbor any vexation towards anyone. I hope they feel the same towards me. I just want everyone to be happy!