Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

70 MPH winds anyone?

Anyone get damage from those 70 mph winds the other day that went through the Austin, Marblefalls, Buda areas . I watched 2 Vortex symbols on the nexrad radar go right over my house earlier this week before the power went out. OVER is the keyword here. I guess they were not attached to the ground. We had HIGH winds for about an hour. VERY scary, but my shop is solid. It took down trees stripped some roofs in the neighborhood. I am fine. I lost one tree 25' from the house. And maybe 5 in the valley. I have LOTS of trees to spare. Lots of limbs down. So I am busy cleaning up.

Comments (11)

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Our neighborhood lost trees. we had a large limb that was twisted off. We were very fortunate. Heard today my daughter in laws parents in Drippin' lost 30+ trees and a lot of those were twisted
    The way it sounded, I thought it would be worse here

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am North of Dripping by 10 miles. I drove FM12 into Dripping today and there were trees snapped twisted and over along the way.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I remember you are out that way, It must have been bad. When we were there years ago, we went through some pretty bad storms

This post was edited by jolanaweb on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 8:25

• mrs.wiggley
    9 years ago

Glad you are safe. Hadn't realized things were that bad until the next morning. I'm in Burnet Co. and there was a twister in Briggs. Not near me, but close enough. Didn't lose any trees and was grateful for the 1 1/2 inches of rain.
    Certainly doesn't feel like a drought around here. More like an overgrown jungle.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

It was pretty wild when it came through my neighborhood of 71 between Spicewood and Bee Cave. I was fortunate compared to some of neighbors that lost their fences and trees.

It got quite messy in the backyard with all the small limbs everywhere from the live oak trees. The most surprising is that my several starter trays are left undamaged on the table and chair. You'd think they'd get blown off or get damaged by falling limbs!

When I got to my work at the golf course in Lakeway, wow... some trees fell, LOTS of small limbs all over the place. It's going to be a long week of clean up...

Was pleasantly surprised to see 3.5 inches of rainfall in the rain gauge. Friday was my designated watering day due to stage 2 watering restriction. Lol.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Personally, I can't see how those gages are accurate when the rain is SO horizontal. It said 2.5 " here in our small one, but I think we got more.

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

Mara, I'm glad you didn't have any severe damage there. You have enough to do without clearing downed timber, right? Stay safe !

patty

• bjb817
    9 years ago

I expected much worse here in SW Austin based what was headed our way on the radar. There were a few large limbs that went down in the neighborhood, but it was mostly smaller branches. Thankfully, the worst I had was a broken branch on a Crape Myrtle.

Glad there were no reports of injuries out there!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was amazingly surprised to see how solid my shop and buildings are. The walls are 16" tall facing north with a butterfly roof and they were faced against the wind . They did not shake ore rattle. I was expecting groaning and more protesting noises.

• melonhedd
    9 years ago

Wind was pretty crazy at our place near Buda. I was outside frantically tying down my tomato cages when the first blast hit. My wife hollered at me to get inside, worried about flying debris. Minutes later a big limb from one of our cedar elms came crashing down on the deck. Fun times!

• lucas_tx_gw
    9 years ago

It ripped all those huge overhead garage doors off of the brand new event center at the Ranch park in Dripping. Pretty scary from what my family there says both at their house and what happened at the park. Thankfully no one hurt

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting