Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skitter_gw

DFW inexpensive rain barrels?

skitter
15 years ago

Does anyone know of a place in DFW to get inexpensive rain barrels? I'm looking for one with a spigot on it.

I seem to remember someone here long ago talking about someplace up near McKinney or Gainesville that had rain barrels for around $30, but I can't seem to find the information now . . .

Thanks! :D

Comments (17)

• shebear
    15 years ago

I think it was one of the feed stores in McKinney. But they don't always have them from what I can remember. The lady who told me about them was from Celina and there's a D&L in both McKinney and Celina so you might want to try there first. I suggest letting your fingers do the walking. And I'm not sure if it was just plain blue barrels or already finished rain barrels.

If you find some, could you let me know. Our community garden could use one.

Sorry I can't be more help but it's been over 2 years since she told me and I haven't spent the time to follow up.

• dirtmomma
    15 years ago

recent posting for rain barrels w/spigot $20.00 in Aubrey which is NE of Denton.
    see June 12 posting at Craigslist - Farm & Garden -
    you can respond to the ad and save gas if they are currently sold out.
    did someone mention rain??

Dorothy B.

• alley
    15 years ago

There is a D&L in Aubrey too. Maybe they are the ones who had the craigslisting.

• newtotheyard
    15 years ago

I posted a while back about rain barrels at Orscheln Farm and Home. The closest one now is in Durant, so that's not so great.

I recently attended a master naturalist workshop on rain barrels and while we were there, we took a large trash barrel and installed a spigot down low and then cut a hole in the top for a downspout and glued screenwire to the hole. That's a very inexpensive and easy way to do it.

My own rain barrels are getting on the empty side, so if someone could arrange for rain, I'd appreciate it.

Newtotheyard

• skitter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Orscheln, that was it! But yeah, you're right, Durant is not very close . . .

Was it difficult to attach a spigot to the trash barrel? That might be an option if I can't find a premade one for a good price -- I'd like to install two in my backyard (and maybe one in my front yard).

I'm hoping we'll get some rain today!!

Also, thanks to everyone who has responded so far -- I'm waiting to hear back from the Craigslist seller!

• denisew
    15 years ago

I bought the big blue food grade barrels from the feed store in McKinney for only $10, bought the spigots from Home Depot, cut a hole in the top, attached spigot towards bottom, attached screening over hole in the top and voila - a rain barrel for under $20. Actually, I have two like that. One is for the front and the other is for the back.

• shebear
    15 years ago

Trash barrels don't work unless they are really built like barrels......you know those raised rings in the middle. Those rings are what add support and rigidity so that they can hold the weight of the water. Don't buy trash barrels that are smooth.....trust me they will rapture soon.

It's not the metal that makes 50 gallon barrels so strong....it's the design.

• skitter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahhhh, good to know! Thanks!

• newtotheyard
    15 years ago

I'm so excited! We got rain after my post "requesting" some. It wasn't much here--about a quarter of an inch--but it was enough to fill up my four barrels. Now I can keep watering the new stuff.

Newtotheyard

• blue-n-yellow-thumb
    15 years ago

Got just enough rain today here to have to get out the mower as soon as the heat returns. ;)

• blue-n-yellow-thumb
    15 years ago

I don't know how many of you might want to use a steel drum or trash can, but if you need a steel plate welded in place with a hole drilled for a spicket...something more substantial than just a spicket stuck in place email me and I can weld in place for a very reasonable charge..like 5 or 10 bux..or any other light welding for that matter..
    Did I spell spicket right or is it spigget? How about tap?.. Well, you know what I mean and I know what you mean so I guess that's OK.. ;) Ahhh.. Why didn't I just look up and see it spelled spigot? Duhh.. Anyway, I hope this isn't seen as advertising. I'm not going to make this a business by any means.. just enough for my time if that.. Just an offer to help. ;)

M

• carla morey
    15 years ago

The eastern and northern parts of Dallas got hammered yesterday. Lots of high winds, downed trees, and loss of power. Rowlett got 1-3/4" but luckily very little wind damage. As B&YThumb said, I'll have to mow again tonight or tomorrow, even though I mowed on Sunday.

I have 2 Rubbermaid 35 gallon trash barrels acting as rain barrels (I got them in spring of '07). I didn't realize they wouldn't last long or I may have invested in something more substantial. But so far they're working well and I will enjoy them until their fateful day arrives. It is indeed nice having a rain barrel or two, as it makes the daily waterings that much easier.

Carla in Rowlett

• skitter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We had the opposite (far north dallas/carrollton): 1/4" of rain in my gauge, but high enough winds that it blew my fence down (the wooden posts broke off at ground level)!!

Anyone know a good/inexpensive fencing company?

• kickymarcia
    15 years ago

denisew , Do you have the name and address of the feed store in McKinney?

• Aubergine Texiana
    15 years ago

We got an inch this morning in south irving! Yay. My veggies will survive another week. It was geting dicey there.

In our Master Composter's class it was suggested that one find a cosmetic's distributor. They get big barrels of stuff like hair gel in barrels, the contents are in big plastic bags so the barrel does not come in contact with the contents.

You might be able to get them free.
    My only problem is transporting the things no matter WHERE I get them from.

• verdant_lady
    15 years ago

I got mine at a carwash in Lewisville for $10.00. I had my car inspected and while I was waiting I saw a hand lettered sign saying that they had 5, 40 and 50 gallon containers for sale. Their detergent comes in large plastic drums that are perfect. They even powerwashed it for me. The detergent is the low suds, easy to rinse kind, so it was pretty easy to get the barrel rinsed out. If there was any residue my plants didn't seem to mind at all.
    I bet other full service carwashes have barrels too. You'll probably only have to ask.

• TAKirwan
    9 years ago

Keep Flower Mound Beautiful will celebrate America Recycles Day 2014 by offering a Rainwater Solutions Ivy 50-gallon rain barrel or a 65-gallon compost bin for only $69.95 each. This price represents a 45% discount off the regular $129 Retail Price. Each rain barrel or compost bin comes with installation instructions. The products will be sold online at:

http://www.rainbarrelprogram.org/FlowerMound

now through November 9 and must be picked up on Saturday, November 15, between 9 AM and 11 AM in the west end of the Community Activity Center (CAC) parking lot at 1200 Gerault Road in Flower Mound. For more information, visit www.kfmb.org or email your questions to info@kfmb.org .

Here is a link that might be useful: Keep Flower Mound Beautiful Rain Barrel Sale