Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatillos

Posted by tx_ag_95 7/8 Lewisville (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 19:48

I know tomatillos need two plants in the area to cross pollinate and set fruit. So, I bought two plants and planted them next to each other. They've been flowering, and the tomatoes next to them flower and set fruit and produce fruit!, but they're not setting fruit. Do the tomatillos just need more heat or less water or what????

Basically, do I keep them in when I pull out the tomatoes (they didn't do too well last year when I kept them through the summer, so I'm going to replace them in August) or do they come out at the same time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatillos

I tried growing them last summer for the first time. I wasn't successful, but my recollection is that what little fruit I had occurred after the tomatoes.

o

I grew tomatillos in 2012 with only 1 plant. I had 8 tomato plants, though. I kept them through summer and pulled them up when I was eventually sick of tomatillos and wanted to rest the bed.

o

I haven't grown tomatillos, but I have grown Ground Cherries, which I understand are very similiar. I found that they self pollenated fairly well, the flowers are small and underneath the leaves, facing straight down toward the ground. I just gave them a good shake every few days to shake the pollen loose and they set fruit all summer long.

o

Cygnwulf,
How do you prepare the ground cherries? I have a bed full of them and want to try salsa verde. I ate one last year plain and in the garden, nice crisp taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here