Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Shirley I found out the name of the canna

honeybunny2 Fox
12 years ago

I went to Lowes today, and there was the burgundy canna that I gave you. This time it had a label inside the pot, so I wrote it down. It is a Australia Canna Lily (canna x generalis "Australia". The tag said Bright red flowers, attractive burgundy foliage, blooms in the summer, water is semi-moist, average size is 60" x 30", spacing 24 to 30 inches, growth rate is fast, cold hardiness is 10 to zero, pruning said to remove spent flowers, fertilization is monthly. I was suprised to see it. Today, I bought yellow trumpet vines "campsis amarilla", do you know anything about them? I have never seen them before, and thought I would put them along the back fence at the coast, and incorporate the gold cup vine, since they remind me of its flower. Barbra

Comments (8)

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Thanks Barbra, that's so nice of you to remember to do that. I had seen those at Lowe's near me yesterday and wondered if they were the same ones. It's great to know.

I saw those trumpet vines too, but don't have a spot for them right now. I looked them up and the first thing I read was that hummingbirds love them, so they sound perfect for your house at the coast. Trumpet vines always work great on a fence, we had the orange ones back in Virginia and they were fast growing with beautiful flowers.

Shirley

• princealbert
    12 years ago

Shirley, Barbara
    Don't buy the Orange trumpet vines. How many do you want? They are verry invasive. I have lots of shoots all over the yard, I usualy mow them down or pull them up. It would be easy to pull/dig a bunch and put in a pot-enough for both of you. They have killed 2 of my Oak trees in the yard.
    Let me know if you want some.
    I had a yellow one but it only bloomed yellow for a couple of years, now it is orange.

pa

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Prince Albert, I would love some!I planted two orange at the coast in June 2009, it was when we had the 100 degree for almost a month, they died with almost everything that I planted that year. I was down with a knee replacement, and was not able to supplement water. I would love to have some. I have the perfect spot, no oak trees. I am excited that it is almost the end of June, you will be moved down. We are going down next weekend, will you be there? I would love to show you my method of Rockport gardening. It will save you days of back breaking work putting in your new flowerbeds. I wish someone had shown me, when I first got there 16 years ago. I almost died trying to put in my first 3 flowerbeds with a shovel, and pitchfork. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

It kills oak trees! That's not a good thing at all around here. Thanks for the warning since very few things are invasive in my yard I often forget about that aspect of gardening. Even bermuda grass will only spread a few feet before giving up.

I did wonder about the yellow flowers because all I've ever seen until recently are the orange ones. They do grow wild in Virginia, but the cold knocks them back every year.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I checked on Daves and the yellow trumpet vine, is not invasive, it takes 2 years to bloom. I plan to buy some gold cup vine, and plant between it. I also bought pink jasmine vines, I have heard that they are wonderful. I am trying to block the weeds from blowing in from my neighbors yards. I hope these will help. Barbra

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

There is a "Dragon Lady" cross vine that looks like trumpet vine except it's manageable and evergreen. It's also native and does get a good size without being overwhelming. A lady that owned a rampant Trumpet saw the Lady Dragon and warned me to get "that crazy vine" away from the house. When I told her it was only a crossvine she looked happy for me and sad for herself. I felt kind of bad and wished I could tell her how to remove her trumpet vine.

• princealbert
    12 years ago

Barbara,
    I'll dig about a dozen and pot up. I may be going down wednesday, to take a load and work some more. I'm still putting in flooring. I'll call when I get unloaded to see if you are down there. Friday is the boss lady's last day at work. She got a new bedroom set, stove, and refrig out of me. this move is getting expensive.
    pa

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll be going down on Friday, and will come back home on Sunday. Give me a call if you will be down. Gary wants to be there on Fathers Day. Barbra