Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Bird of Paradise tree

cynthianovak
11 years ago

Hi All

Today I eceived seed pods for this plant. Have any of you planted it? I'm flying blind. I searched images and there are different ones.

Any info would be great. I plant to scratch the seeds into soil in nearly total Sun. There are hours during the day when it isn't blazing, but but not a lot of them.

The seed pods are still pliable. Would you soak the "beans"?

thank you

c

Comments (8)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

If you talking about Mexican or Barbados 'Bird of Paradise' which is a legume I'd let the seed pods dry and easily crack open exposing the beans within which will be hard and dry. Then you could soak the beans over night and plant where you want them to grow. Or plant them in a deep pot because they make a long tap root pretty quickly.

It might be possible to open the pliable pods, extract the softer beans and plant them, but I've never tried it. Maybe try both ways and let us know.

Good luck. They are beautiful trees, but I'm not sure how hardy they are in your zone. They can be grown in a big pot.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I don't think the seed are viable till the pods are ready to pop. If the seeds were picked will pliable they are probably not viable.I am a poet and I don't know-it. That is what I have always heard. I only pick the fat seeds in dry pods. One should always let the seeds mature on the tree.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

If you are talking about the Texss Bird of Paradise, Cynthia............it is very winter hardy here. Last year I had them coming up EVERYWHERE (and one that I left where it was "planted" is blooming it's first year) so when it bloomed earlier in the year, I deadheaded all but a few of the pods..........will let you know later whether they are viable if not allowed to dry on the plant.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you
    I'll try some in a pot and toss some in a dry sunny area. What an exotic flower they have.

c

• weldontx
    11 years ago

Mine survive the zone 7 central TX heat and cold. One is in mostly mottled shade under oaks and still blooms. Nice background or feature. I grew some from seed but the seed pods had dried before I harvested them.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you
    I plaanted 4 seed in a 3 gallon pot. The pods are opening on their own so maybe some will produce a plant. I was thinking I would plant 4 more in another pot too...just in case I get lucky

c

• novascapes
    11 years ago

When you dry the pods put them in some netting or paper bag so the seeds are captured. When the pods open it shoots the seeds out.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Good advice, nova..............I had them coming up some distance from the mother plant, so this year I deadheaded. One that I left where it came up is blooming the first year..........took the transplant two seasons before I got blooms.