Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No float cypress mulch?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 20:48

Wrong!

This is my patio after 2.5 inches today. On the left side covered with floating mulch are the concrete stepping stones to the garage.

And remember that raised stone path we built to the deck?

It's under water too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No float cypress mulch?

well...maybe it will soak in overnight. It happens to me here too...so much in one bed I had to remove 24 daylilys and relocate them to higher ground. Your yard sure does look pretty though! I love that stone path.
~angie~

o

Thanks angie. I hope it will soak in overnight too. But it's raining again right now. *sigh*

o

marti8a,

I don't have a solution for you, but I'm dying to know what those purple plants are.

o

Abilene, the purple plants by the edge of the deck are Purple Heart (like Wandering Jew). They're not completely happy right there by August, too much sun for them I think, but with water they make it through.

o

I wish we had that much rain! We just had rain but I'm having to water some beds already.

I have Purple Heart in 2 flowerbeds. The partial shade planting is the happiest over the deep shade group. I put the small plant I bought 3 years ago in full sun but it was not happy...finally figured out it did not want as much sun. I love the way it looks with some sun on it...the plant lights up with a purple glow.

I'm 60 miles south of Abilene; darn Armadillos dig mine up looking for grubs. I stick the broken pieces in the ground, they root and start a new plant. Great color and the little pink flowers are sweet.

The partial sun bed is full of these and other members of the Tradescantia family...several colors of spiderworts and some yellow mums which look smashing with the Purple Heart.

Peggy

o

We use the cypress mulch too, but I guess it doesn't float away because the beds are raised. I love the smell of it and it works so well for us. I remember using pine bark mulch when we lived in Beaumont that floated down the street. Ha ha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here