Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grasshopper invasion!

Posted by marti8a 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 21:21

They're already big so I don't think Nolo would work. What can I do? They are eating my plants down to nubs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grasshopper invasion!

Nolo will work, Marti.............it just takes a while to notice that it is working. Hey, the bigger they are, the more that will dine on the dead one, and that is how Nolo works.

o

Ok good. I'll see if I can find some tomorrow. Where is it commonly available?

o

I had to order mine, but some years my nursery (Hartwell's) carries it...........will give him a call and see if he has it this year. Try calling places you frequent and see if they have it. I have some left over that I am using now, but don't know how effective it is. I am going to get "fresh" as a few years ago when they were so bad, I used it generously and didn't have grasshoppers for a number of years. It DOES work, just not immediately !!!

o

Strong's in C'ton & Marshall Grain in G'vine both have 2 pkgs in stock (as of 2pm today) - both about $20

~ freshair

o

is C'ton Canton or Carrollton?

o

sorry, marti - carrollton

I-35E, northbound/eastern side, btwn beltline & sandy lake

~ freshair

o

Get a couple guineas hens, problem solved! I saw a special on TX on this, it works. Oh course some people prefer grasshoppers to guineas. Barbra

o

I would love to have guineas, Barbra, but the coyotes think they are so delicious. I don't even mind the "pot-rack, pot-rack" sound they make. At least they let you know when a predator is near by.

o

Found some at my local nursery. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

o

I've got a lot of grasshoppers also, what is this "Nolo", I've never heard of it. Is it safe to use around vegetables, children, and dogs?

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

o

Here is your answer, and I have used it for years.

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/nolo-bait/pest-solver-guide-grasshoppers-crickets

o

I've used Nolo bait for years. It's best to put it down when you are first seeing small grasshoppers. I imagine any time is better than no time, though. I buy it from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply, online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peaceful Valley Farm Supply-Nolo bait

o

Thanks carrie. I have noticed a pair of roadrunners catching grasshoppers in the yard lately and I was a bit worried about that.

o

I found some at the Argyle feed store for $16.99 for a pound. That is the same price as Amazon online. Not a bad price.

o

We happen to have yellow crested night herons who love grasshoppers. Ours are very smnall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here