Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hareball17

What fruits/veggies can I plant at this time of year?

Hareball
11 years ago

Fruit and veggie prices are getting crazy and I would like to try and grow some of my own. I will need to grow them in containers. What plants would do well now or be good to start now for winter/fall? Any growing tips would be nice too :) When I have tried to grow any fruits or veggies before the plants do really well will get a few fruits or vegetables that only end up about the size of a pea :/

Comments (12)

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

I'm not really sure that growing your own veggies is cheaper than buying them in the store. Herbs can definitely be a cost savings if you're buying fresh herbs at the grocery store. But, by the time you get the garden built or pots purchased, filled with soil, plants purchased and then paying for the water and fertilizer plus your time and labor....

Now, I am growing hot peppers and tomatoes and putting in okra and black-eyed peas this week. The latter is a test to see if I can get enough harvested at one time to actually do something with. In the past I haven't had enough ripen at one time to feed anyone other than (maybe) a toddler.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    11 years ago

If the idea is to save money, and especially if you're doing containers, I agree that herbs are your best bet. Potatoes and squash won't save a lot of cash.

Okra and eggplant might be good bets. I especially like the latter because they produce well through the hot summer. Tomatoes and peppers turn off in the fiercest months of heat, though you might get a fall crop. Summer greens? Well, they say that they are "heat tolerant", but that phrase has a different meaning in Texas than elsewhere, and I haven't had a lot of success nurturing at least kale in July and August.

Of course, if you're planting in June, we're talking about harvest in September and beyond, so it's mainly going to be about survival.

• weldontx
    11 years ago

If you can abide a little "informal" look to a flower bed,
    put in some veggies. I don't grow for cost savings so much as I do for the advantage of "fresh". I currently am eating from celery (um delish, and so dark green- even leaves are good in a salad), kale, chard, Roma tomatoes, carrots. Squash just bit the dust but got a half dozen. Then of course, it's just me to feed plus a guest or two now and then. For costs, try one of the food co-ops such as Bountiful Baskets in the Ft. Worth area. There are others in other areas.
    In the fall - Sept. I will put in lettuce, greens, more carrots, etc.

• Hareball
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I also want to grow stuff to have fresh fruits and vegetables in my yard :) I like gardening too. I'm pretty good at it until summer hits lol I'll look at the site posted above. If I don't see anything I want to plant at the moment I'll just wait till next year. Thanks for the input everyone :)

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Honestly, if you want to start a veggie garden, fall's a good time to start here! We get two seasons for tomatoes & peppers and the fall season's typically better than the spring, the plants handle the later cooler weather better than the heat they get at the end of spring. In the Dallas area you can keep the plants going into November and that gets pushed back to December the further south you are.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

When do you plant the tomatoes, peppers, etc.? August seems like it wouldn't work too well; do you plant in September?

• Gardener972
    11 years ago

You're too late to start a garden now. You MIGHT have some luck growing yard long green beans but other than that, not much will survive getting started now unless you water a LOT to get it going. Tomatoes, peppers, onions.... nothing now.

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Ogrose, I picked up a vegetable planting guide for North Central Texas at the Dallas Water Wise garden tour last Saturday and it says to plant tomatoes (seeds, I think) for fall between June 15 & July 30th and peppers between July 30 & August 25th. So I think seedlings would go in the ground in August for tomatoes and September for peppers. And, evidently, I put in the okra and black-eyed peas at the wrong time. Oops. I guess it'll be an experiment then!

• greenie88
    11 years ago

The pepper plants you plant in spring will be better producers in fall than any pepper plant you plant in August. They are slow growers so 2-3 months of declining sunlight isn't going to let them get very big or very productive. Plus, if you have want them to ripen to red for chipotle or ancho you'll probably never get there before December. Just nurse your pepper plants through the heat of the summer (they will look pretty limp in the afternoon) and then they will explode when the first cool fronts roll through.

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

That's what I do with my peppers (all "hot" cuz I've never had luck with sweet/bell peppers) and tomatoes (had the best luck with Sweet 100's). I'm hoping that both will do better this fall since I'm feeding them and watering them more this year.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

My Calander for Travis county says tomato transplants go in from July 1st - 31st. I planted once in EARLY August and got nothing but green tomatoes. So this year I will start my Tomato transplants early in july with a shade cloth. Cow peas and melon can be planted now.