Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thegravytrain

Where to buy tomato and pepper plants in Dallas

thegravytrain
11 years ago

Hi! Does anyone know where one can buy tomato and pepper plants this time of year in North Dallas area? I'm starting to think about making a Fall veggie garden. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

That's a good question, I would like to know, too. I'm wondering if Strong's in Carrollton or Northaven Gardens might carry them. Worth a try to find out.

• lucas_tx_gw
    11 years ago

I think if you check North Haven Gardens web site they either have them or wil have them soon. They are extremely vegetable gardening oriented and (gasp) actually order varieties that work in our climae.

Here is a link that might be useful: North Haven Gardens

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

North Haven Gardens typically has them when it's time to plant them, although they may not always have exactly the variety you want. That said, I didn't think we started the fall garden until closer to August?

• thegravytrain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looking at the North Haven website, it looks like they will get them in starting this Friday! Thanks all for the replies.

As far as when to plant, I've read anywhere from mid-June to early August. It seems like it if you can get the plants to survive and thrive through the dead of summer, it might give you a leg up on the Fall harvest. At least that's my novice assessment of what I've read. I think getting them to produce much in the extreme heat is unlikely. Anyone disagree with this assessment?

• dfw_gardener
    11 years ago

I bought my peppers and tomatoes from the local home depot and lowes - Bonnie plant brand.

As far as heat, yes it's a problem. Last year we had that terrible heat wave, I barely kept my plants alive through it. Once the heat broke, I got lots of production, except the hard frost killed everything just before they were ripe. Had literally hundreds of orange/almost red cherry tomatoes fall on the ground to rot. Bad luck, is all.

I'd recommend planting now, so they reach maturity by the time the cooler weather rolls in, and get the fruit set ASAP.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Next time, before we have a really hard frost, go ahead and pick all of the tomatoes on the plants and bring them inside. All of the ones that are barely pink will ripen and most of the green ones will, too.

• sfmathews
    11 years ago

Hree's the link to varieties offered at Northaven. They recommend planting by July 15 at the latest.

Here is a link that might be useful: NHG

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022