Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

Austin in August

drippy
9 years ago

I posted (tentatively) earlier, but the move to Austin is now a definite go, happening in early August. It will be northeast Austin or nearby for us. We will not have a permanent home for a few months, so I am looking at container gardening for awhile. I am a "little of a lot" gardener - like a wide variety, even if small amounts. I grow as much as I can from seed; am a veteran Winter Sower and composter. I plan on getting a rain barrel asap, and already use brown water in my Alabama garden (didn't have to in New England; not as hot and plenty of rain). I grow flowers, shrubs, veggies, berries, and am especially fond of herbs. When I do have a more permanent place, I will probably grow a lot in raised beds, as much for my convenience (am entering those golden years...) as for soil control.

So, what can I plant in containers in Austin in August? You all were so nice after my first post that I have a clue about what to expect for soil in different areas, and am hoping you might have some neat suggestions for me.

Thanks in advance!

Drippy (aka Kim)

Comments (7)

• colonel_kernel
    9 years ago

You might be able to still find, or propagate some peppers - they should grow and produce well into November. I love my little prickly pear. Hardly ever give it water, pretty flowers and useful fruit. I'm on the gulf coast, but most places in central Texas on to east Texas plant in March then again just before fall. Check out the lady bird Johnson wildflower center online. There's some great info!

I know it's a little early, but welcome to Texas! I hope you love it here! There's a little bit here for everyone.

• runjbells
    9 years ago

If you want to plant in August, I would suggest taking a visit to The Natural Gardener in south Austin when you get here, and they will give you some suggestions. Also, here is a vegetable planting guide for our area. It looks like there are quite a few vegetables you can plant in August.
    http://www.co.travis.tx.us/agext/garden/veggies/planting/julsep.asp

• ruthz
    9 years ago

drippy, welcome to Texas.
    I live in the DFW area, but you'll find there are plenty of avid gardeners in the Austin/San Antonio area.

And I love the nursery's I've gone to in the Hill Country.
    Check out Hill Country Gardens in New Braunfels.
    Seems like the nursery's there have more native plants than I can find here.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Great Outdoors, Barton Springs Nursery, And the Natural Garden are my favorite nurseries.The Natural garden has free classes.also the county extension agency is a great resource.They are ALL south of the river Are you in Georgetown or closer in the Desau road area. I think that is blackland prairie and some chalk there. They have a community garden in north austin. maybe more that I don't know about. They are springing up in a lot of places.

August is a good time to start seeds and many fall plants.Beans, cucumber, eggplant (early august), peppers , squash, End of August many other things can get started. Here is the schedule that I use. I sometimes jump this if I feel the winter will be a cold one. (Weatherbell, a weather service seems to think this one will be.)

Fall is a great time for planting here, but if you lived in Alabama, I am sure that you are already on they wave length. I use frost row covers and garden all winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Travis county planting schedule.

• drippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I am hoping to bring one of my many pepper pots with me. Can't bring them all, lol, I would need a moving van just for plants. I do have an opuntia, Colonel Kernel - it's too big to bring, but I might try to cut and root a pad. I grew it from seed, and it is probably one to two years away from blooming. Thank you all for the nursery suggestions and the planting guides. Although I will be sad to leave the work I've done here, it's always exciting to start a new garden in a new area.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Bringing a cactus to texas is like bringing coals to New castle. LOL. I am an opuntia nutcase. At one point I counted 70 varieties, but the cold fronts have cut me down a bit. When you get here , I can set you up with pads and plants. so get a hold of me. I am west of Austin . a bit of a drive but beautiful and on the way to a great swimming spot.

• colonel_kernel
    9 years ago

Yes, cut a pad off, let it set in a cool spot for a week or so the plant it; should root, but if you don't get to, you should be able to find a nice wild specimen around Austin area!