Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinelittle_gw

What is the heat killing in your garden?

Catherine Smith
12 years ago

I am a very very new gardener, but I am sure that i can safely say that I relate to other gardeners by saying that my garden is my BABY!

I woke up this morning in horror and walked outside to my massive container garden ( I live in a townhouse with a concrete backyard). And i felt myself go instantly pale when I saw my 4fttall squash plant that was so green and healthy yesterday that you could see it from space...be reduced to a bright green limpy mess. I gave it some water, and it's regained some of it's form, but it's just sad and yellow still. :(

My raspberries have halfway been burned out also. I'm watering twice a day, and I just hope this heat waves tapers off just a bit!!

Hope everyone else is having a great growing season!

Comments (13)

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

My lawn grass (centipede) is crackley and my bed flowers wilt every afternoon even though I water daily. The hanging baskets and potted plants need water twice a day. Established shrubs are faring somewhat better.

Everytime I go outside I see a plant that needs CPR.
    I have lost pansies, snapdragons and poppies so far, This is the earliest in the year ever that those have died.

I am happy that many weeds have "bit the dust."

• LMoon310
    12 years ago

My Cilantro bolted after I barely got 1 harvest out of it, and my marjoram never took off. I am really new to gardening like you. I did something stupid and planted kind of late for my area, so there's no telling what will happen to my flowering tomato plant.
    I live in an area with tons of trees, so my plants only get a couple of hours of direct sunlight. When I go out there and look at them at that time they're all droopy and sad looking. For some reason my blue lake green beens are flourishing even though I already harvested them. I'm pretty sure it's just ornamental at this point, but it's nice to see perky leaves despite the heat. I'm thinking of throwing them in the front yard just to put some life into the yard, the grass looks terrible.
    Hopefully your squash will come back with a little TLC or these temps will let up a little. I think the shade makes a big difference though, I even go and move some of my pots around every day so they're always shaded.

• zippity1
    12 years ago

we went out of town for a few days and i was afraid my plants would croak, so i took some of the biggest (really big) ziplocks and put a tiny tiny hole in them and put them in big plastic pots and some in ceramic pots) and filled them with water (folded the edges down on the outside of the pots) they leaked water very very slowly and the plants look great (5 days)
    i also just filled the large ziplocks as full as i could and put them around the base of the potted plants and left them everything looks great

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Me. Good Lord is it hot!

• greybird
    12 years ago

The stickers are even dying in this heat...

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

petunias

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Everything. I am almost out of water. We have not been watering for ever, Some of my mountain ashe juniper are dyeing. Even my yucca are stressed. My rainwater tanks have made it through three droughts but not this year. I guess I will have to truck water in. My Madrone trees are loosing leaves.I put my order in yesterday. The only thing I am watering is the vegetable garden but that looks hopeless .All my native grasses are burnt and beyond crinkly grey. We haD 10 acre wildfire up wind from us and they had a dozen fire trucks and helicopters dropping water from the sly. It was scary. I was kinda hoping I could get a load if water on me.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Wantonamara, I am so sorry to hear about how dry it is at your place. You have it so nicely landscaped with native plants that you'd expect to able to ride out a little dry spell, but this one is more prolonged than we ever expected any drought to be. Yes, it would have been nice if a little water had dropped down from the sky from whatever source!

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Wildfire is scary stuff. I'm sorry about your plants but glad the fire didn't get you.

• jamiecrouse
    12 years ago

Like someone else said--the heat is killing ME! I'm expecting and I can barely take the heat long enough to hand water a few thirsty plants. Of my vegetable, the beans, peas, and cucumbers shrivelled up a month ago, as soon as it started getting hot. I'm not sure my Stella D'oro daylillies are going to make it this year.

• greybird
    12 years ago

Wantonamara, I am so sorry to hear about your water situation. Yucca wilting signals serious dry. It is very dry here as well, and my water well's days are numbered.

It needs to rain, rain a lot.

My dad, an old dry-land farmer predicts rains in July. I hope. This is bad. Heat and continous winds compound the problem.

The news features the flooding, tornados and wildfires. These things are terrible. The insidious drought that is ruining our land is but a blip in the human interest stories.

Pray for rain.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Those of us that live away from city water look at your green gardens in the pictures and only can manage BROWN with envy. I have not watered my garden all season to speak of. I am long past watering once a week, matter of fact, I never water eccept for new plantings so I guess I deserve what I get. I threw some water on a new wildflower planting but even they are dead. I surrendered a long time ago to this drought. My Salvias are stressed, sedum palmerii is stressed. The natives are all grey and burnt up. They retreat to their roots or wait for rain to re sprout seeds. The land is wild out here and drought is drought and land is grey. I am depending on the natives iron constitutions to bounce back. The yuccas that are stressed are new plantings. I put water on them last night and ...

IT RAINED!!!!!!!!

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

God is good! Rain for wanton! :)
    Pregnant in this heat oh dear please be careful!