Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Owls in my yard

Posted by plantmaven 8b/9a TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 22:11

One of the babies is on the left. Isn't it cute?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Owls in my yard

There is something about owl faces that are just so cute. Do they call? Sometimes the owls around here really hoot a lot at night, but I never see them. Thanks for the photos.

o

I have not heard them. But I turn on a box fan at night just for the white noise.
My neighbor came over and looked at them. He feels like they are smaller than Maeve. They appear larger than they are, due to the size of the wings.

k

o

Lucky you! They are incredibly cute. What a great picture :)

o

the one on the left seems to have huge eyes, a bit scary looking

o

They are a bit scary when they stare down at me.
I have done a tad of research. Owls eyes are in a fixed position. So in order to look it something they have to turn their head.
We have seen the parents and 6 youngsters. I think they are whiskered screech owls. When watching them with binoculars I see them do a funny movment with the beak and "whiskers".

Here is a link that might be useful: owls

o

ExoticRGVNativesTy and my brother posted the following website for Cornell Lab of Ornithology. It is a very good site for birding!

o

Wow! Learn something every day, didn't know there were so many different types of owls.Good website.

o

Speaking of learning something new every day I came across a video of a cat and owl playing. I think the owl is a pet because it has a strap on it's leg, but even so, a cat will play with anything, but who would have thought the owl would PLAY with a cat!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat and owl playing ...

o

I think the owl is letting the cat chase his fetters(?) like a person with a ribbon playing with a cat. How smart is that? It's really cute when they play in the tree. Kitty can't fly but she can climb! I agree that it's surprising that owl doesn't hunt kitty. That was a really cute video. Thanks :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here