Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momofjandj_gw

posting pics

momofjandj
16 years ago

Okay...I'm trying to post pics but not having luck. Everytime I try, it says file too big...the help page says to resave as a jpeg file but would it be easier to just save the pics to photobucket? (It just seems most of the pics I've seen are from here.)

Also, do you always have to go to the gallery site to upload?

Please help the inept! LOL

Comments (16)

• mary52zn8tx
    16 years ago

I upload my pictures to photobucket. Most of the time I open another window, but you can scroll back and forth from photobucket to here. Then all you have to do is copy the middle line (HTML tag) and paste that into your post here. You can edit the picture size in photobucket if necessary. You should be able to see you picture when you do a preview of your post. It is really pretty easy to do, or I wouldn't be able to do it!
    Mary

• carrie751
    16 years ago

And if they help you, maybe some of it will rub off on me - I am inept, also. LOL

• rumbum
    16 years ago

When you are saving a picture to your computer you get a pop-up box for Save As... look through all the options for something that says "Run Optimizer". That feature will compress the size of the photo significantly.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

I feel like Mary -- if I can post pictures from Photobucket anybody can do it.

Open a free account at photobucket.com. At the top of the page it will say 'browse.' Clicking that will take you to your documents. Find where you have your photos stored and then click open. A tiny picture will appear on the Photobucket page. Click upload and in a few seconds the picture will appear on the photobucket page.

As instructed above click on the middle line under the picture and it automatically copies. Paste it in the box you post in and when you preview your post the picture is there. If you want to post multiple pictures you can first put all the HTML tags on a note pad and copy and paste them all at once. Then you can type your in message around the tags.

Photobucket will automatically reduce the number of pixels when the pictures are uploaded to their wite, but they are still pretty large. I resize them to about 750 pixels wide before uploading to Photobucket.

If you want to link your pictures from Photobucket in an email to friends you put the URL link.

By the way, you leave the picture in Photobucket. The first time I posted pictures I figured they were on GW now so I deleted them from Photobucket and all that was left on the Garden Web sight was red Xs. The folks on GW helped me by telling me that the tags are links to the site where the photos are stored. So most of us are prone to make mistakes while learning.

Play around with it on here and someone will help you. You can upload your pictures from Photobucket either here or on the gallery.

• denisew
    16 years ago

Do you have to use Photobucket or can you use another online photo service? Is Photobucket owned by Gardenweb or somehow connected? I have yet to learn how to post pictures here too. I always enjoy seeing other people's photos though. It is a great way to get new ideas for the garden.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

You can use other photo storing sites. Photobucket is not connected with GW.

• denisew
    16 years ago

Okay, good. I just started using Snapfish and didn't want to have to change. I will give it a try next time I upload photos to Snapfish.

• scottamuss
    16 years ago

I like picasaweb.google.com myself

• shipp53
    16 years ago

scottamus
    i tried picasa and this is what i get http://picasaweb.google.com/momhipp/Backyard/photo#5076780658818394482">;

what am i doing wrong

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

looks like part of the html code is missing. Before the http:// part, there should be something that should say img src=" (with a

It is hard to write here exactly what you should write because when you type code into this box, it turns it into HTML (or creates the pic).

• momofjandj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all your help guys! I hope I can figure this out...
    denisew...I use snapfish and I get the "file too big" when I try to upload from there. Please put a follow up post and let me know if you have any luck!

• momofjandj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I opened a photobucket acct just for my gardening pics. Let's see if it worked!
    This is my first flowerbed planted in the first of April...

Okay, it worked...any way to make the picture smaller?!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

It worked GREAT! Congratulations -- you did it!

To make the picture smaller resize it to 750 or 800 pixels on your own computer photo viewing program before uploading to Photobucket.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

You can re size your photos right there in photobucket.
    Use the 'edit' feature and it will re size for you.

Sometimes when you come back to a forum you'll have to delete your cookies to see the new size, but others who haven't seen the picture yet will see the new size even if you don't.

This issue drove me crazy for a whole day.... twice!!! I was trying to re size but the picture never changed on the web site I was posting on!
    low and behold.. it had, but my computer cache kept showing me the original sized and not the new one until I deleted my cookies.

• mary52zn8tx
    16 years ago

I know the bigger pictures are a pain for those with dial up, but I really like looking at them.
    Mary

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

Congratulations!! Beautiful corner!!