Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Identification

Posted by CAZ48 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 23:03

This plant is growing in my yard and I can't figure out what it is. I think it could be albino but can't figure out what plant it is. I am not an even decent gardener so everything that grows, just grows on it's own. I live close to a river but not on the river. Anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Identification

Another view

o

It really looks artificial. What is the texture like? Is there sap? What is the size?

o

Ghost plant? ;-)

o

Albino bishops weed ?

o

It's about 1 1/2 ft tall and does not have sap. It just feels like a reg plant, not waxy.

o

Plants cannot survive without chlorophyll. If this plant is real then it must be a root sprout of a normal plant nearby and is obtaining sustenance from it, but it won't last long. It's a wonder it has grown to that size. Look around and see what plant has similar shaped leaves.

From the internet:

"Albinism also occurs in plant foliage when they are deficient in or missing the pigment called chlorophyll.

Chlorophyll is the most important photosynthetic pigment in plants and also the one that gives leaves their green colour.

Total albinism in plants is lethal-an albino seedling will die within days of sprouting because after it has used the stored energy from the seedcase it can no longer sustain itself.

Plants of normal green colour can produce albino shoots and these may survive longer because they receive sustainance from the rest of the plant.

They can not survive sunlight though because they have no protection and will shrivel."

o

Looks like a chinaberry, lol
That would be pretty with purple flowers

o

That's what I was going to say, Jolana. Looks like a chinaberry tree, but maybe a China Doll houseplant.

o

We have a variegated chinaberry here in the bistro area at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens. That on the other hand looks completely white so unless it has some green somewhere it'll probably croak.

o

Look what I found this a.m. Never heard of this but would love to see one
Looks like I will get to in SA!
I googled it....nothing

White leafed chinaberry tree

Posted by dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC (My Page) on Mon, May 4, 09 at 12:28
Back before my favorite garden center died, I bought from them this 4' tall , all white leaf chinaberry tree. 7 years later it is maybe 20-25' tall. No sprouts,no seedlings all over the place. In spring it leafs out pure white , shaded from the hot afternoon sun by elms and pines, and by mid summer it is a mix of dark green and variagated leaves. I've tried planting the berries but they just won't sprout (I suppose this is a good thing).
Flowers are lovely but brief.
I've tried googling and can't find any reference to this white leaved beauty..only the common invasive green form.
I wonder if the white was a sport that someone successfully rooted and sold.

o

Jolana, GWs most accomplished sleuth is still on the job. FASCINATING! I wanna' see it at the SABG too. Thanks for the tip Phoenix Joey.

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 15:01

I also saw several at Hobby Lobby, aisle 12. I think it is winter hardy even in Antarctica.

Omar
PS: Love your diplomatic skills, Roselee...

o

Well, at least we found out about the variegated China berry tree. BTW, I dearly loved climbing the China Berry tree in my grandmother's yard, the flowers were beautiful and fragrant and it was fun watching the mocking birds get drunk on ferminted berries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinaberry 'jade snowflake' ...

o

That is just stunning, can't wait to see it in SA
A lot of chinaberry trees were good for climbing, lol
and I had forgotten about the funny fermented story
ahh, good times, lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here