Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbay76

Worms in the house!

Jasmine Bayliss
16 years ago

Umm... aren't they supposed to be staying out in the garden? We had four in our bedroom tonight, two in the living room, and two in another room. Any ideas how they can be getting in? We've been getting a lot of rain in the past 48 hours, but this is the first time I've seen worms inside the house. Our house is about 5 years old if that makes a difference.

Comments (12)

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

You would be surprised as to what can find it's way into your home.
    Are you talking earth worms? That would be a surprise and I would think it would be hard for them to get in. Someone or something bring these in?
    On the funny side of thing's you can now go fishing LOL.

• Jasmine Bayliss
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, they're earthworms. I have no idea how they can manage to get inside. Maybe through the electrical outlets?

• tx_ag_95
    16 years ago

I can't tell you why it's happening, but you're not alone. I started finding them in my house Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. It has to be from all the rain we've had. I doubt it has anything to do with the age of the house, mine's 43 years old. Did anyone have this problem in the early 90's? I've been told that Lake Lewisville was over the spillway then and it looks to be close to that again. I didn't have earthworms in the house in 2004, which is the only comparison I can make.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

They will always do that when it gets too wet.

On the other hand, that is the time when you can just go collect them for fishing. (smile) They will be on walks, driveways, etc. and you can just pick them up.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

I just pick them up and put them on higher ground outside. They are just trying to avoid drowning. How they get into the house remains a mystery to me, but they do. I have only one room where I find them, and it is almost level with the driveway - the areas that have to be accessed via steps have none.

• brenda_in_tx
    16 years ago

No worms (yet) but have had geckos.

• ditaroman
    16 years ago

Watch out for garden snakes too! When we were new in our house and we had so much rain, I freaked out because I saw a snake crawling in the carpet. Not knowing anything about snake I screamed and told my husband to kill it, but he put in in the bottle, took to school to the science teacher. She said look for another one because they always travel in pair, sure enough we saw another one. If they decided to come inside this time I have a dog that would pick it up. We have a lot in the backyard and they don't bother me at all anymore.

• bandit_tx
    16 years ago

Probably millipedes coming up the foundation because they are drowning in the water logged soil. They can apparently find a way through small cracks in sill plate. I have them too. They appear to be worse in the first year or three after construction and then taper off, but they are always present in the soil. If they curl in a cicle when you molest them, it's millipedes.

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

Worms are my biggest 'heebiejeebie'. I know they're good for the garden so I just close my eyes and pretend they aren't there if I see them outside but if 1 got in the house I'd be up on the furniture doing a hopping dance.

• srburk
    16 years ago

I've had that problem once before in my bedroom growing up...I kind of assumed that they crawled through the brick weep holes....especially since I found them under my bed.....

There are a lot of other things coming in on the plumbing lately that I don't want to think about.............

• headeranderson
    16 years ago

Yes it is definitely the rain.

When I was a kid I would pour out the dirty soapy water from washing cars into to soil and watch all the earth worms come up. Then my brothers and I would go fishing.

Heather

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I like worms....OUTSIDE!!! That is kinda creepy. PJ