Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I kill a oleander bush

Posted by nanatricia (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 23:29

How do I kill a oleander bush
I cut them down to close to the house out of control.I want to kill both have huge stumps .I do not want them to come back

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I kill a oleander bush

My guess is you will very carefully have to apply a glycophospate product (RoundUp) that says it is "brush killer". Don't do it on a windy day and be very careful to shield anything you don't want killed.

o

Good luck!
Cut them down as far as possible. Round up has no affect on them. Keep cutting them down. Do NOT tie the stump to your truck and try and pull them out, it will pull off the bumper! You can paint them with stump killer and sometimes that will kill them, but often it won't. Just keep cutting and cutting and eventually it will die. If you're lucky.

No, I didn't pull off the bumper, we watched my brothers neighbor try to get rid of a full grown oleander for 4 days, he chopped, sprayed, dug, sprayed, dug, cursed and sweated a lot, tied it to his bumper broke the rope, chained it to the bumper and pulled off the bumper. He even had a chain saw in the hole at one time. Hurricane Ike finally killed the oleander 5 years later LOL!
Tally HO!

o

I'd start with Tally's suggestion.

If it's allowed in your area, and you have the time to watch it AND it's not too close to the house, you could dump a bag of charcoal in the hole and try burning the stumps out.

If you can get enough of the roots cut, you can try pulling them out with a truck, but I don't know if you want to put in the time and effort to excavate that far.

The organic method that I've seen says to dump a bunch of sugar (they suggest any jams or jellies or other items that are lurking in the back of the fridge/pantry and shouldn't be eaten) on the stump, cover with mulch, and keep moist. I'm not sure I'd want to do that right next to the house.

I managed to kill the roots of a crepe myrtle by dumping the water from scrubbing the cats' litter boxes with bleach and soap on the area. It took quite a while for anything else to start growing there, though!

If you can keep water away from the roots, that might help them die.

I think I finally killed my cedar elm (it kept sending up shoots even though it had been chopped down and my father tried burning it out) by putting the roundup brush killer on the leaves, so if you get the bushes weak enough, that could be the last straw.

I wish you luck with your war of attrition!

o

They have some stuff they sell at co op farm stores that will even kill cedar and mesquite. I don't know the name of it but its heavy duty stuff. You can ask a store like that about it.

o

???? I don't think you can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here