Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One of the many faces of heat

Posted by greybird z7 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 23:40

Sorry to be beating the dead horse, but I need to vent about this dang heat. My husband is sick of hearing me grind on about the heat, the heat, the heat.

The heat here is:
Very hot (110 and +),
Very windy (20-30+mph, and out of the S,SW),
Very continuous (day and night)
Very droughty (3.75" since about Oct.)
Very dusty (everything is dried up)
Getting humid-er (20%+ mid afternoon, go figure them heat indices)
Very early start, 100's in April

I don't think I can take it until the end of Sept...

Please share your heat experiences this year. So I won't feel so alone in this boat. You know what they say about misery...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One of the many faces of heat

I thought this would get a laugh from you. I think this is how most of us feel.

Photobucket

o

LOL! Yeah it's hot. Dang hot. Texas hot. It's what I expected moving here. It sucks when there is no rain. Sure is pretty when there is tho!

o

The heat is indeed extraordinary this year. That this may be the result of climate change is sobering. If that is the case, we have to learn to live with scorching summers. If you are able, work in the garden in the morning before it gets too hot. If not, be sure to stay protected from the sun and hydrated. As far as the garden is concerned, keep watch on soil moisture and use a fairly deep mulch to keep the soil as damp as possible as long as possible. Finally, remember that this can't last forever. It will eventually rain. A cool front will eventually drift in.

Here is a link that might be useful: In the Charamon Garden

o

greybird, I just got back from Phoenix, AZ. Before going I was griping about the heat & that awful wind, but now it doesn't' seem all that bad. lol Except at night. I do wish it would cool down at night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here