Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oily black stuff on Crape Myrtle

Posted by ccabal 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 0:12

Hi,
I have a couple of pink Crape Myrtle trees, and their leaves have this black oily film on them, and the branches also have this, plus have white spots too. I've had this before, last year too. Is this a big deal?
I have a white crape myrtle nearby that doesnt have this problem. It has grown much larger than these 2 smaller trees. Anyone seen this before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oily black stuff on Crape Myrtle

It's 'black sooty mold' caused by mold growing on the 'honey dew' secreted by aphids. Spraying with insecticidal soap is recommended.

The white spots are most likely powdery mildew which some varieties of crape myrtles are subject to mostly in the spring, especially if there is not good air circulation and they are not in full sun. Sometimes trimming out some of the interior foliage will help, plus you can spray them with an anti fungal solution.

Good luck. Crape myrtles are beautiful trees and are mostly carefree. Incidentally I find using the Gilmour 362 professional hose end sprayer to be the most convenient way to spray. Amazon.com carries it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search results for sooty mold on crape myrtles ...

o

The white things if they are on the branches might actually be an insect known as scale. CM's are also susceptible to that.

o

ordered one of the sprayers, thanks! I have scale on the citrus aarrrggghhh!
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here