Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_heilner

July 13 Plant Swamp at MacArthur Park and Plant Swap Etiquette

jenn_heilner
10 years ago

Hello!

So I have recently started following the forum and am working on a big landscaping project...and I just saw the info about the plant swap at MacArthur Park on the 13th. I have never been to a plant swap before, and I need some guidance.

We have spineless cactus pads and century plant pups that we can bring, but that is about it as far as cuttings are concerned. Does anyone even want these, or are they too common? I can also bring seeds from Mountain Laurel, Pride of Barbados, and Red Yucca.

Someone also mentioned bringing "things" if you can't bring plants. We live on a ranch, so we have a ton of axis antlers, deadwood, etc. Any other ranchy stuff you guys might want for your gardens that we can bring to trade?

Finally, do we need to pot the cuttings, or bring them bare root?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Comments (18)

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Hi Jenn, I'm planning to attend the Swap on the 13th. We would like to swap for some antlers. Could you save us some? I've only been to one swap, so I'm pretty new to this, too.

What kind of plants would you be looking for in swap? I've got most of the common plants, too. We've just started to pot seeds from our orchid tree but they are still teeny tiny. We only got five seed pods this year and we planted those. We've got a loquat tree that is about foot tall and a gardenia cutting that has rooted. Oh, I've got three hollyhocks that have rooted, too.

• jenn_heilner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

I am looking for drought tolerant, xeriscape plants for the most part (cacti, aloes, agave and other succulents), but I would be happy to save an antler for you regardless...that seems to be the spirit of things here :-)

What was the swap like that you attended? Do people bring tables to set up?

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Jenn, Thanks so much. I think I have some succulents/cacti that you will like. I'll save them for you.

The last swap I went to was so much fun and, honestly, I brought back more than I took. Since it was my first, I didn't not know what to expect. Everyone was super helpful and generous. What I had leftover, I just left behind so others could take home what they wanted.

There were park tables, but we got there a little late and we just put our plants on the concrete. That's what some others did, too. I'll also bring small gardensy items like baskets, wooden pieces, etc., and pot luck sandwiches and cookies to share. It should be fun!

• jenn_heilner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That sounds great...I am looking forward to it!

• Gretchen W.
    10 years ago

Where is MacArthur Park and if close I am interested?
    I have castor bean plants (6) of them. Day lilies and some other flowers.

• southofsa
    10 years ago

Gretchen- here's the physical address:

Douglas MacArthur Park
    Harry Wurzbach and NE Interstate 410 Loop Frontage Rd
    1611 North Loop 410
    San Antonio, TX 78218

Sounds like it'd be worth a road trip from Dallas :-)

Lisa

• Gretchen W.
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I am going to be all planted out after today. I am having hired help to clean up the weeds in my yard and having five yards of mulch delivered and after today not digging or adding more plants, today.
    Have fun no road trips for me.
    Happy 4th of July to everyone as well.
    Our 27th anniversary is July 4th!

Gretchen

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

If you have a card table and a folding chair, take those.
    If you take plants put them in a box they are easier to transport that way.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Jenn, here is a link on swap etiquette. Scroll down until you see Castro gardener's post on etiquette.

Here is a link that might be useful: swap etiquette

• jenn_heilner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much. This really helps to understand what to expect. Hope to see you there :-)

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Jenn. Here's an odd request..... don't laugh! Not really a plant, but would you have any tumbleweed? We really just need one. We have actually driven out country roads looking for a 'purty' one and would you believe... we could not even find an ugly one!

• jenn_heilner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha - I love it! I am going to have so much fun with you guys I can already tell. I know I have seen them on the ranch...I will take a little drive and see if I can find one. Do I need to do anything with it if I find one besides bring it? I mean as far as taking care of it is concerned. Stay tuned and let me see what I can come up with...

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Jenn, Please don't go to any trouble to find one. Honest... I would not be disappointed if you did not find one.

If, and, that's 'if' you find one, just stick it in a plastic trash bag. It doesn't have to be a great big one. A small one would do nicely! That would be really great.

Thanks so much! :-)

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Jenn, please ignore my request. I mentioned it to DH and he said, "You didn't! I now have visions of you chasing down tumbleweeds in the hot Texas sun!. Please don't.

I don't know why I thought they were so plentiful on ranches. I guess I've just been watching too many John Wayne movies. Thanks, Jenn.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Ya`ll have fun! We`ll be at the fall swap.

We always want to trade for rocks lol! But we live on the coast and our rocks are ground up really small, we call them sand.

The road trip is worth it for us, gets us off the island, a mini-vacation, tour of Ragnas garden, we do the river walk thing, Jim digs up mesquite-he`s never going to forgive me if I forget a shovel this year!, we enjoy seeing trees and hills for a change.

See ya`ll in the fall.

Roflmao at ya`ll chasing tumbleweeds down the roads.
    Tally HO!

• loreleicomal
    10 years ago

Tally, if you remind me, for the fall swap I'll bring lots of hill country rocks for you! My son goes to college in Lubbock, maybe he can find the tumbleweeds for you up there--they're quite plentiful in west Texas.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Patty, this months garden junk crafts!
    Tally HO!

• jenn_heilner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SunnySA,

I got your message but I'm not sure which thread it was on originally. Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it, but hopefully I will find out more about the fall swap and see you there. Take care and feel better!