Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jungleexplorer

Help me ID this plant. PLEASE!

I saw this plant down in San Antonio at the Natural Bridge Caverns. Can someone ID it for me? Thanks.
{{gwi:1357854}}From Drop Box
{{gwi:1357856}}From Drop Box
{{gwi:1357858}}From Drop Box
{{gwi:1357860}}From Drop Box

Comments (7)

• bedford8a
    11 years ago

It's Beautyberry, (Callicarpa) The berries will turn a beautiful shade of purple in the fall. The birds will devour them!

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Looks like American beautyberry (Callicarpa Americana.
    American Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) is an open-habit, native shrub of the Southern United States which is often grown as an ornamental in gardens and yards. American beautyberries produce large clusters of purple berries, which birds and deer eat, thus distributing the seeds (WIKIPEDIA)
    Molly

• The Jungle Explorer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. This plant looks identical to a plant I saw in the amazon jungle. I was wondering if this plant was native to the united states or if it was imported. The native people of the amazon use a plant that looks like this one as a fish poison to catch fish with. It is actually quite fun to watch because the fish actually become disoriented and start jumping out of the water and you have to run out and get them. The poison actually does not kill fish but kind of makes them high and disoriented for about 30 seconds after which they return to normal and swim away.

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

Some people say the berries are edible, other people have reported upset stomach after eating. Best err on the side of caution when in doubt. Birds (and other wildlife) can often eat things we can't.

• aufelipe
    11 years ago

You can also find a variety with white berries. I've also been told that the oil in the leaves repels mosquitoes if you rub them on you.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

I have too many of these in my yard but they will grow anywhere even in heavily shaded areas that nothing else likes to grow. They start easily from seed once the seed has turned brown. Some say the birds love them but none have ever eaten any of mine at least so far in over 4 years. It took a couple years for me to kill one that was too close to my house, the roots are very tough once established. I may have to try making a tea out of the leaves and spray my yard if they will repel mosquitoes. If anyone wants seeds from last year send me a SASE.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Oh you lucky thing! I would love to have a beautyberry growing in my yard. They are so pretty.