Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonfly_wings

Stepping Through Thyme

dragonfly_wings
14 years ago

I have a small area of my yard where I've placed some

stepping stones and would love to choose a very hardy

thyme to fill in around them next spring. However, this unbelievable heat has given me pause. These steps are in direct sunlight for half the day so wonder what will survive a little traffic and still hold its own in a drought?

During a google search I spotted a beautiful variety called Elfin Thyme which I've not yet seen at any nurseries around here so wonder if they are not appropriate for central Texas, zone 8/9. The way they are described as drought tolerant makes me think they might be, but am looking for confirmation.

Anybody in my area familiar with thymes or has used them as I'm wanting to? Any advise on variety and how to keep them alive and well?

If thyme is not my best choice of plant, what might work better?

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Thyme Varieties

Comments (9)

• seamommy
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure I saw elfin thyme at Calloways billed as one of their "stepables" plants. Its a low growing variety that can be used in walkways and between stepping stones because it's very hardy and tough. Wooly thyme was another thyme that does well in stressful locations, but I think it grows an inch or two taller than the elfin. Cheryl

• trsinc
    14 years ago

I'm wanting to do the same thing and have wondered the same thing too.

I had some Elfin Thyme a few years ago and it did not seem to be as drought resistant as the regular upright varieties. In fact I lost it. I'm stingy with the water, though.

I've seen it many times at The Natural Gardener. They usually have a great selection of herbs especially in spring. I believe I've seen it at It's About Thyme and maybe The Great Outdoors.

Where has knittlin been? She works in the herbs section and could tell you right off if they have any in stock at the moment. I remember she said a while back that she didn't have internet at her house temporarily.

• texazgal
    14 years ago

Texas frogfruit is a native that is supposed to be an excellant groundcover. It's very hardy, I find it thrives with nothing. Per Texas CoopPower Mag April 09. I can hardly keep it out of my beds.

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

I wouldn't waste my time, dollars and energy on it. I've been trying to get it to grow for years, and it always dies. It cannot take the high heat and humidity in zone 9. I know they say it can, but I've tried growing it in the ground, in pots outdoors and pots in my greenhouse. It won't grow. In fact, none of the thymes do all that well for me here on the coast. However, I have had some limited success with just plain old creeping thyme, but during the summers it will almost die back. And I have to keep it in partial shade to keep it from burning up. Good drainage is essential, because it will "drown" if the roots are allowed to stay too wet. And like I mention, it is difficult to keep thriving during the very humid summer climates. Plant in raised bed if necessary.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

How about dichondra, silver pony foot? I have been growing it for a year and it is still looking good. Gets direct sun morning and late afternoon and does not wilt in the heat of the day in light shade. The attached info says it dies back in winter, but mine didn't die back last winter. It spreads slowly at first, but is really picking up the pace lately.

They display it as a ground cover at the San Antonio Botanical gardens and it looks great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dichondra

• trsinc
    14 years ago

Like ltcollins, I had a really hard time with thyme when I lived in Corpus and also in SE Texas. I live outside of Austin now in limey, rocky soil. It does very well for me here. Just not the Elfin variety. I have several varieties of the bushy types and all are doing well. I recently bought some mother of thyme. It blooms pink. I hope to some day put it between some steps. I think lemon thyme would be lovely because of the scent when stepped on. I'll try that some day too.

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

I agree about the dichondra, but mine grows only in the shade. It's great! It grows under trees where grass won't grow. I don't have any luck with it in the sun though!

I do have limited success with the creeping lemon thyme, but it does best in the winter.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

I find the elfin thyme to grow alright in limestone rubbly ground in central Texas. I heard that the secret is to start it in fall and let it get its roots established. Mine does get a tad of afternoon shade and I did loose it when I watered it NOT AT ALL during last summer. I replaced it and so far so good. I am very stingy with my water. I am on a cistern. I think it is in the timing of the planting.

• dragonfly_wings
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the stories and advice. Sounds like mixed reviews on the elfin thyme, but glad to know it's available. I suppose I can try planting some this Fall and see how it does next summer before I go hog wild and do an entire area with it. I sure love the look of it and its low growing characteristic.

I just recently bought dichondra (this spring) and have it in an area where it gets a few hours of direct sun but it's struggling a bit unless I give it regular watering. Maybe if I can get it good and established it will do better next year. I'd love to mix it with some elfin thyme but it will be a 'trial by fire' as Mara put it in another thread. This is such an intense summer! I'm amazed ANYTHING can survive it.

Texazgal, I checked out the frogfruit and will certainly pick some up if I see it to try around here. It's cute, but seems a bit more straggley looking and tall compared to the more compact thymes for the purpose of placement around the stepping stones. I guess I just like the dense mat look around the stones.

I may pick up some lemon thyme and other types to try as well and just see which ones do best in my yard/soil/location. I'll just have to get down to the Natural Gardener and have a chat with knittlin about all of this. I'm guessing business has slowed down a bit by now.