Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Star Jasmine propagation

Posted by bhand TXz8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 6:04

I planted a star jasmine vine 4 years ago and love it.
I put in on a trellis to provide a privacy screen on my deck. I love it thats its evergreen, love its dark green color and best of all when its in full bloom, I love the fragrant blossoms.

I noticed seed pods on it this year. Is there anything special I need to do to propagate a new vine from seed? OR, is there another way to start a new vine from this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Star Jasmine propagation

I've never noticed any seed pods.
A few years ago I took cuttings using the "baggie method" on my mother's star jasmine. I think that every single one of them rooted. So it's extremely easy to propagate from cuttings - I think any method would work.

The problem is they took a REALLY really long time to grow once they were rooted. I'm talking 3 years just to grow into the smallest size they would sell at the nursery. For me, it would have been better to go buy one for $6. Matter of fact, 2 years after waiting for all of the baby jasmines to grow I went out and bought one for $6. That one I bought has already reached the top of my trellis one year later, but the baby ones I planted aren't even a foot tall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here