Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rudbeckia

Posted by lupineloon Dallas (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 7:06

I love Rudbeckias, especially 'Iris Eyes,' Prairie Sun,' etc. They are listed by sellers of seed and plants as bi-annual, perennial, etc., depending on where you do your research. Some sites say they reseed but others say if they reseed, they may not be the original variety. My question really is if a seed does not come true in the garden, how can one buy seed that is true, for that variety? Do any of you start these particular Rudbeckias and if so, when? Can you winter sow? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rudbeckia

I haven't grown Rudbeckias although I probably should, but I've read about how seed suppliers plant fields of the same variety of flowers so that no other variety is close enough to polinate them. The article below explains some of that, and the distances pollen travels and how; whether by wind, insects, etc.

In the home garden the varieties will be closer together and more likely to cross polinate so the seed would not necessarily come true. On the other hand you might get some very interesting colors and shapes from the crosses.

Here's a thread about sowing Rudbeckias on the Winter Sowing Forum:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wtrsow/msg122208208649.html

I hope this helps :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: How growers keep seeds true to type ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here