Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sienna_98

White Duranta

sienna_98
11 years ago

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Duranta will tolerate morning shade and afternoon sun? My neighbor has one, but it gets full sun and is clearly very happy with that. I just didn't know if it would do well with only a half day... Thanks!

Comments (11)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

those little old weeds (jimon weed is it's common name) will grow about anywhere. The more sun the bigger the plant. I have however, seen a huge one growing out at the airport under a big tree.
    Tally HO!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I thought she asking about Duranta erecta 'Alba'.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Tally, you read Datura instead of Duranta. The names are very close.

Sorry Sienna, I don't have any recent experience with growing Duranta. Maybe if we keep bumping this around someone will see it and give you an answer.

• marcie_new
    11 years ago

Yes she will for I seen it somewhere growing like that is the same as the purple-blue one and those Durantas take quite a bit of abuse I am thinking of growing this plant again I used to have one and then I transplanted 2 or 3 times and it used to come back from the roots till the last time it did not get any atention for about 6 weeks right after transplanted to a new spot and so it went to plant heaven.

• sienna_98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I know that my neighbor's plant survived the drought (with supplemental watering) and subsequent fire last year, but it has always been in full sun, so I wasn't sure if it would do as well with a half day of shade. I'll see if I can get a 2nd one at the nursery and plant one in full sun and the other in the half shade and run my own experiment. :)

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Half day shade won't hurt.
    My purple and white duranta (aka golden dew drop) gets morning shade and late afternoon sun. It gets very droopy with the late sun.
    Also they will freeze back here in San Antonio. But do come back from the root.

Kathy

• sienna_98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to know, Kathy. Thanks!

• luvs2plant
    11 years ago

My brother (zone 9a) grows his in mostly dappled shade. Only gets full sun for about 3-4 hours during mid-day & it does just fine.

• sienna_98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I really like this plant and the white would definitely brighten up the corner that I want to put it in. :)

• dkzeus
    11 years ago

Has anyone ever propogated a violet duranta? Suggestions?

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I don't have the white, but I have the purple "sapphire showers" and a lavender. they live in pots behind a fountain,in front of a brick wall. they face South and get bright filtered light during the day. In the hottest part of the afternoon they get blasting west sun.

They are in pots and are at least 8 ft tall. I say go for it! I love them so much that I cut them back after the first frost and wheel them in and out of the garage in winter. I have not propagated them. I do know that simply sticking a branch into the soil did not work.

The make huge roots. Perhaps slicing a section with roots off will work. The lavender on had golden berries. That may be a way to grow them too, but I have not tried it.

I love this plant, but it will fill up a pot in two years. I lost one when it became so root bound it rotted after a heavy rain.

II'll post a photo sometime in the next few days.

c