Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

longhorned beetle

plantmaven
12 years ago

I sat on this sucked this morning. When I saw what stuck/pinched or bit me, I was surprised. I have never seen one before.

I guess he liked my patio chair also

Here is a link that might be useful: beetle

Comments (16)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

Wow! I've not seen one either. Did it hurt?

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not really. Just enough to realize something was there. I thought it was a fire ant until I saw it.

The literature stated they eat dead wood and and have been found in furniture.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

....The literature stated they eat dead wood and and have been found in furniture......

Kathy, you're going to have to move a little faster! Next thing you know, you'll have termites! Ha!Ha!Ha!
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Kathy, you're just having all kinds of 'fun' with the critters at your place. I wonder what's next ... LOL

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I was gonna say, sounds like Kathy has her own 'Wild Kingdom' going on over there :-)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Jim, you are too funny and I was waiting for someone to pick up on this...........LOL>
    Glad you were not hurt, Kathy.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought it might have something to do with ....lard. LOL!

Weird stuff this year. Several days ago a cicada killer was trapped between a post and the plastic of the green room. Diane was trying to rescue it, so I put my hand on the out side of the plastic. Yep, it stung me through the plastic. So I smashed it. Rescue over!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

Ungrateful wasp!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

That'll teach him !!!!

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Cicada killer sting really hurts! I got stung by one last year. I was on my knees weeding, and I guess my knee restricted access to it's hole. The rascal nailed me good.
    Jim

• carrie751
    12 years ago

OUCH.............and you don't want to tangle with blister bugs either...........got two bites on my left foot, one near the outside heel and the other on the big toe. Have no idea when it happened, just know that he blisters were humongous and now that they are drained, hurt like heck. Gonna pass on doing this again if I can.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Ouch! So sorry you all got stung, pinched, or bit, I know it must hurt like heck, but for me it helps somewhat to know that from the insects point of view he is defending his home or his life and does not have the intent to hurt us out of spiteful maliciousness.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Oh, that really makes my blisters feel better, Roselee.........LOL>

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Carrie, I'm so glad ... (I knew that was coming -- hahaha!) But seriously I've found when I'm not angry at the critter that 'hurt' me I don't feel it nearly as severely. It's easier to just concentrate on something else.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Criminy I'm not getting out of Texas alive am I?(J/K) I'm sorry you got stung. :( .

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I did not even SEE the critter............just knew he had been there.