Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Finally, rain.

plantmaven
11 years ago

I was so thrilled to watch it fill my new rain barrell. It came down so fast the gutters ran over. wooooo !

Comments (21)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

We got new gutters last week, now just waiting on enough rain to watch them work. Rain barrels are next.

Congrats on the rain! Woot!
    Tally HO!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I'm glad you got some, but we didn't get but a tenth of an inch in the rain gauge. I can pretty much guarantee that anybody six blocks east of where I live gets three times the amount of rain ... LOL

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Hey, all I got was cloud cover, but I didn't have to water as much.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I watched a BLACK column march just to the East of me and yesterday one went to the west and the day before, oh, you get the picture. I live in the PUTEE triangle. Things are getting brown. I missed a day of watering and all the salvias that I was rooting shriveled up. They had nice roots on them too. So I am in morning.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

No rain here, but the clouds were welcomed.
    Kept it cooler at least.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

our chances go up next week. Come on rain!
    Tally HO!

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hasn't it been wonderful?!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Yes! I'm reporting in with 2 1/2 in. total in the last few days. Not at much as some of you got, but I'm sure not complaining :-)

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Not so fortunate here in my part of North Texas..........One nice shower for about ten minutes is all I got, but am grateful for that. Also happy for those of you that did receive much needed moisture in July.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I heard that Austin got 10 in.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

In three days I got 6", so I am happy. Wast of Austin got 8-10' 2 days ago. I did not here what it got yesterday. It has been wet around here . I am almost topped off in my rain tanks. That means 20,000 galls for the rest of the summer YEA. we were under half. I start sweating it and letting some vegetables die off when we start to hit below half and a lot of the summer to go. This takes the preasure off and when DH gives me the "evil eye" for surreptitiously watering, I just turn my back and continue what I was doing, independant cuss that I am.

I am starting to move my more sensitive cactus under cover. More rain is coming.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Rain, rain and more rain. The streets are flooding, especially in Houston. Moved the newly potted plumeria to the porch before they drown.
    Tally HO!

• Ann_in_Houston
    11 years ago

I'm hoping the trench the dear hubby dug around the border stones to curb the spread of the grass will carry away some of the excess. I have lost as many plants to constant rain as to drought over the years.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Yea, I saw that the rain that PASSED us took up residence in your areas.

• Ann_in_Houston
    11 years ago

It's predicted for ALL next week. I hope they're wrong. You know we'd love to share some back your way.

• gmatx zone 6
    11 years ago

You can send some of that rain up here to the Texas Panhandle. We're doing better than last year, but we have only received 7" so far this year. Need the pastures to get quite a bit more moisture or we will be putting out hay early for the cattle. Yard is alive, but just barely.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I know about having to put hay out early, hoping for enough rain that I won't have to this year. Prices of coastal haven't gone down much even though there was a good crop of it here in North Texas.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

We had a 2 inch cloud burst Friday afternoon. There was one little red dot on the weather map for San Antonio and my yard happened to be under it. I chose to chase my trash can several lots down the street to keep it from going into the creek, praying all the time I wouldn't be struck by lightning. It out floated my slow trot until it hit a snag and I was able to grab it. Now if all that water could be channeled directly into the aquifer that would be wonderful indeed.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

heavy rainfall this am and now it looks like the sun is trying to peek out. There is rain predicted for the rest of the week. Every day the chances for tomorrow are 40% then 80-100% when you get up the next morning.

I know what you mean Anne, that is why my cactus grow on the porch roof, tired of them drowing.
    Tally HO!

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

Over a few days, I ended up with about 8/10 inch of rain total. Feeling kind of short-changed, but glad I got that much. And Medina Lake...still needs lots of rain over the whole watershed. It's sad! El Nino, where are you?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I am sorry to here that Linda. It is flooding in areas of the Big Bend. My husband was sent pictures of a friend who was helping a neighbor in his multiple cow rescues from the flash floods out there.

My 20,000 gallons are now officially full. I can water to my hearts content. I don't want to spoil these plants, do i?