Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best fruit trees for Abilene area?

Posted by jungleexplorer (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 10:38

I live a little north of Abilene, TX and I want to plant a small fruit tree orchard of 60 trees. Varieties like apples, peaches, pears, apricot, plums etc. I have been looking all over the web trying to find out which types are the heartiest for this area, but can't seem to find any info on this.

I was wondering if anyone here on the Texas Gardening forum could me some advice in this area. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best fruit trees for Abilene area?

Contact the county agriculture office.
My Neil Sperry "Texas Gardening" book has a chart for how many hours of cold are needed for certain fruits. Maybe your library has a copy if you don't.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: fruit & nut Taylor county

o

Here's a link for stone fruit from Texas A&M. Just google Texas A&M and the name of the fruit you want to grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU Stone fruit

o

There's a really good fruit tree nursery in DeLeon which is very close to you. They should be able to give you good advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Womack Nursery

o

There's a really good fruit tree nursery in DeLeon which is very close to you. They should be able to give you good advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Womack Nursery

o

I highly recommend the Womacks in De Leon. They have been in business for years and are highly respected....even by Neil Sperry. You are not too far to drive and pay them a visit.

o

Thanks for all the advice. I will follow up on it. Any advice on getting a better deal on a bunch of trees. Buying this many trees at retail prices will be high.

o

Womack's give a discount for 10 or more trees. Talk with them
about the quantity that you want to purchase.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here