Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desperado Sage leaning--How to straighten?

Posted by AFBKinTX North Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 10:39

I bought this desperado sage at about 1 foot tall and planted it a couple of feet inside my fence. It's 2-3 months later and the sage about 3 feet tall and looks great except that it's growing sideways (and into my salvia plant).

The fence runs east/west, and the north/south fence is a few more feet away. That fence would block morning sun but not the rest of the day. The plant is growing toward the south. It is growing away from a fence that wouldn't block the sun and not toward a direction that would get it more sun, so I'm a bit perplexed. Perhaps it has nothing to do with the sun.

Any suggestions about how to encourage it to grow upright? Stake it? Prune it? It's very drought tolerant but here in Texas in July I'm hesitant to do anything that will stress the plant too much because we have nothing but extreme heat to look forward to in the next two months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desperado Sage leaning--How to straighten?

This is a picture from above.

o
RE: Desperado Sage leaning--How to straighten?

Most plants will lean toward the most light, and the south gets the most sun for a longer part of the day as long as it's not obstructed by trees, buildings, fences, etc. I have Desperado, and it kind of did the same thing its first year, but second year it is growing up a little straighter - I guess the stems are getting thicker and stronger. I'd give it time - maybe prune lightly in the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here