Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by ShannonMTX TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 10:44

This plant/weed has sprung up in my flower bed. The stem is pretty thick so I think it is more than just a weed. My daughter loves to plant random seeds in the garden. The last she planted was 3 months ago and was a kumquat seed. Is this a kumquat tree/bush? There is another sprout like it about 2 feet away that just started. This thing has grown to about 4 feet tall in about 8 weeks. We are in Denton (Northern DFW area) if that helps. All the plants were bought at Calloways so I don't think they would have with random things, but who know. Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

Looks like poke weed to me.

Jim

o

I think it's Pokeweed, too. In September it will have red/purple berries on it which the birds love! If you can stand having it around a few more months, let the birds have their treat and then chop it down.

o

Thanks for the help. Have no idea how this ended up in my flower bed. But the 6 year old will enjoy watching the birds eat from it. :)

o

Thats polk salad! It is a native green type vegetable Collards, Mustards,... When I was home as a child in Paris, TX, My great grandmother added it to her mustard greens or alone with broiled eggs. It tastes like spinach! Tastes good!
You must eat it in before it starts to go to seed and turn purple. It's toxic and is not edible during this period. When cooking it. You must broil the leaves and pour off the first of the green broth. I would do it twice if it were me. I have'nt cooked any of it in years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here