Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Urban Terrace- Plant options

Posted by shawncon5 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 11:05

In the coming weeks my husband and I are being relocated to Dallas. I have lived in the Northeast most of my life and have over time established multiple gardens on our 1.5 acre lot. I have a wonderful job at a local nursery where I plant seasonal gardens for our customers who don't want to do their own. I am heartbroken to be leaving our "home" and my job.

We are keeping our home in NJ and renting an apartment in Uptown with a 4ft by 19 ft balcony! As I transition into a whole new gardening zone, can anyone suggest some hardy but beautiful plants/trees I could use in 2 large planters I plan to put in our very limited outdoor space? Also, can you suggest the best garden centers in the Uptown area. Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Urban Terrace- Plant options

You might want to check out Cindy's blog FW Dirt. She gardens at an urban loft in Fort Worth. Before moving to Ft. Worth Cindy worked for one of the best nurseries in Texas where she taught classes on container gardening. Urban gardening is her focus now.

Here is a link that might be useful: FW Dirt Blog

o

I moved to TX in 2008 for grad school and have done a lot of container gardening. What direction does your balcony face/how much sun will your plants be subjected to? That will be important to know what will grow best.

For aesthetics, plants like Mexican heather, Passiflora, Plumeria, and dwarf lilly of the nile have worked well in containers for me.

For functionality, I've had a lot of success with herbs of almost all kinds, okra, peppers, and tomatoes (with a bit of work). Basil and oregano have been particularly great for me in the TX heat/sun.

Best of luck to you and your future container gardens!

o

Thank you to both MNtoTX and Rock Oak Deer-
I will most definitey check out FW Dirt. Our terrace is North facing. The interior of the apartment is tremendously bright with 11.5 ft ceilings and many full walls of glass. So besides our woefully inadaquate outdoor space, I will have lots of options for indoor planting that I could never have done in the Northeast. (note: I am trying to find the silver lining to this move). I love many interesting non-flowering plants and am hoping to grow ferns, caladium and fiddleleaf figs indoors. Any thoughts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here