Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangohouston

Planting Mango tree in Houston TX

mangohouston
13 years ago

HI,

I had purchased a Malika Mango plant in a 3Gallon container and would like to plant in theground. Could you give me tips on hos to plant and take care of the Mango plant/tree during the occassional freeze in Houston, TX.

Thanks

Mango Houston

mangohouston@yahoo.com

Comments (75)

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey mangobaby! great to hear of your success after 17-degree weather!!!

My cogshall lost about 80% of its leaves but is doing ok as it is pushing out new growth.
    I bought it down in the valley at rivers end near brownsville, and about 2 weeks after i brought it, its leaves slowly got red-dark brown around the margin on the underside of the leaves. i will look for pics....
    Eventually the spot grew and most leaves fell but stems are healthy green, applied copper spray and it delayed the fall of the remaining leaves although about 3 or 4 have fallen since. It has been in garage at no less than 40 degrees in the coldest nights and brought out for the 50-60 degree dry days, but leaves had been falling way before changes in lighting.

All my seedlings are ok although one was very affected by what seems like anthracnose. I have applied copper spray to all my seedlings.

im gonna try out setups like yours pretty soon to at least be ready for next winter because more trees are coming home soon & i need my garage space back-- its very addictive!!!

you got me interested in alphonso, I already had my eye on mallika & nam doc mai and then others in the blogs mention fairchild, pickering, cushman...etc... man i think i better buy some land with a big greenhouse lol!!

i wonder if youve had any problems with lancetillas splitting on your tree like the folks in Fla. have.

Thanks for your time and info, its great to hear from you!! keep me posted!

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Hey mangobaby! I bet you are ready for spring! I deleted old pics of damaged leaves but i have recent pics of new growth on my cogshall mango ... the trick for me is uploading them from a tablet...

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Here are more pics... showing what i think is some kind of mineral deficiency in the soil:

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Here are more pics... showing what i think is some kind of mineral deficiency in the soil:

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Here is more...

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

More...

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

More...

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

More...

• alexisreal
    10 years ago

Yes, your mango can use some minerals. I recently using microlife, plant feed made here in houston and all organic . I left my mangos outside all winter and they did fine! Try that on your little baby!

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Thanks alexisreal! I heard of microlife on the radio garden show iwill try that!

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Wow alex, what type of mangos do you have that withstand 17 F degree weather??!! That seems extraordinary!

One thing i do wish to do regarding plant feed is finding ways to make my own organic plant feed without skimping out on the ever so important trace minerals...

Hey mangobaby, you got any blooms on your nam doc mai? The ones at JRN on harwin even had blooms coming out of stems near the soil!

Do tell us what mangos you got going alex!

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Wow alex, what type of mangos do you have that withstand 17 F degree weather??!! That seems extraordinary!

One thing i do wish to do regarding plant feed is finding ways to make my own organic plant feed without skimping out on the ever so important trace minerals...

Hey mangobaby, you got any blooms on your nam doc mai? The ones at JRN on harwin even had blooms coming out of stems near the soil!

Do tell us what mangos you got going alex!

• mangobaby
    10 years ago

What type of light do you use in the garage? The leaves look like baby leaves with light deficiency.

Namdocmai is just starting to bloom. Alphonso is blooming nicely - pic attached. I don't have lancetilla but nam doc Mai did have lot of fruit split last year.

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Nice blooms mangobaby!

The only light my cogshall had all winter was from soft white light bulbs! Not even halogen, just typical bulb (yikes but true). It is staying outside now that temps dont go below 40s.

Everything else is also outside except for some soursop seedlings that really got the brunt of some kind of oak fungus from the oaks in the backyard. The 3 that survived are hanging on still.

Thinking of getting alphonso, carrie & mallika soon and cannot decide between fairchild, pickering, neelum and ice cream... kinda biased towards
    Indian type mangos as you see!
    May end up getting all eventually at the expense of my wife complaining of having no space in the backyard lolol :))) thats why i look at varieties that grow slow/dwarf some.

Have your or anyone elses mangos had problems around oak trees in the past? That will decide where i will plant my trees... hope to hear from any of yall!!

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Nice blooms mangobaby!

The only light my cogshall had all winter was from soft white light bulbs! Not even halogen, just typical bulb (yikes but true). It is staying outside now that temps dont go below 40s.

Everything else is also outside except for some soursop seedlings that really got the brunt of some kind of oak fungus from the oaks in the backyard. The 3 that survived are hanging on still.

Thinking of getting alphonso, carrie & mallika soon and cannot decide between fairchild, pickering, neelum and ice cream... kinda biased towards
    Indian type mangos as you see!
    May end up getting all eventually at the expense of my wife complaining of having no space in the backyard lolol :))) thats why i look at varieties that grow slow/dwarf some.

Have your or anyone elses mangos had problems around oak trees in the past? That will decide where i will plant my trees... hope to hear from any of yall!!

• alexisreal
    10 years ago

Craze4mango, it is a Julie fruit and nom doc that did very well planted outside. I noticed that my cogshall that I did not plant in the ground really suffered, it received a lot of leaf burn but still ok. I attribute the difference to the mangos feeling better if planted in ground.

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Hey alex and mangobaby!
    Got questions for you mangobaby- when your alphonso has fruit, do you pick them mature green or do you let them ripen on the tree? Do you have problems with squirrels or other animals eating your fruit?

Alex! So your julie and nam doc made it with no protection at 17 Farhenheit!?! Wow, are they against a building getting heat from a wall or against a south facing wall?? Did you mulch heavy? Did you use ag covers like mangobaby? How old are your trees? Did you make them hardier with that winterizing plant food? Im trying to rationalize it... something gotta give right?! Lol but i would like to know what you do... being on the ground does have a lot to do though and the cogshall proves at least that much of what seems a puzzle to me!

Have you tasted fruit from those trees, and if so which do you like best? Any major disease problems with the julie tree?

Just got the last and almost forsaken mallika and a good looking alphonso from the nursery... two down and one to go.....or maybe two...!? I will very soon see if i bite off more than i can chew!

I'd like to hear from yall! Thanks!

• alexisreal
    10 years ago

Craze4mango, I really didn't do much. Just planted them in the ground when it was warm like September , I would plant them now because then they have time to establish and do well over winter. There's a larger mango tree I spotted in my neighborhood that's been there for years . I think we need to feel better about planting tropical a in houson. Heck , I've seen a plumeria tree in my neighborhood , it's huge . If it can make it then I bet other plants can too, I'll take pics ( last year I posted pics , search for "high density tropical garden in houston" and u should b able to see)

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

Hey folks! Checking in on you mango fans to see how your sticks are coming along! Lol...

Since last i wrote i have added to my repertoir an alphonso and a mallika to accompany the cogshall, plus vegetables and grapevines.

Hope to get at least 2 more mango trees but my immediate concern is putting the mangos i already have into a clay soil...

So my question to any and all of yall is: did yall mend your soil? and if you did, with what? Or did yall plant on a mound, which i am inclined to do?

Anyone's response is appreciated! I will post pictures soon!
    Enjoy the fruit of your labor!

• mangobaby
    9 years ago

Mango season has been weird this year. None of my potted mangoes flowered so far, leaves only on some and some have not pushed any growth at all yet.

Alphonso mango has few flowers and has just a few fruits, most of the branches have not pushed any growth (17 mangos last year). Just a few fruits on mallika too.

Best one this year is NamDocMai, hundreds of flower panicles and lots of fruits are holding so far. Last year I had less than 10 fruits hold on this tree, hopefully this year will be much better.

• mangobaby
    9 years ago

Mallika fruit

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

Hey mangobaby! I saw on another thread you lost 3 trees-- what a bummer!! Sorry to hear that!

Great to hear you are holding up w the nam doc and alphonso!

Mine are in 20 gal pots now but not for long...did you mend your soil for your alphonso n nam doc?
    Thinking of using exp. Shale, cedar mulch and cow manure or peat humus mixed well with the clay soil of my yard...thinking about going up from the hole at least 6 inches...maybe going crazy with it but i still regret losing that carrie last year!

I have the cogshall, alphonso and mallika going into ground shortly. Carrie and neelum may be in the works soon along w soursop.

Also have a satsuma on ground w fruit set and also at the same time is budding more flowers that should blossom this week which i think seems uncommon (at least to me it does), got a brazos belle avocado w one fruit set which also needs a bigger container.

Got a lot on the garden plate to say the least!

Pics coming in after sun breaks out...

• mangobaby
    9 years ago

Sun has been out for many hours now :-) looking forward to see some pics.
    Lost those mangoes back in 09-10.

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

Sorry mangobaby! Took the pics early morning but couldnt upload as i had to start the sunday manic morning rush and just got home almost at 9pm! Here are the pics...

First all 3 mangos- from left to right-> cogshall, alphonso and mallika

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

The mallika is budding new leaves, no flower spikes seem to be coming yet. Some leaves seem to be deformed,will wait some to confirm and apply trace minerals yet again for 2nd time

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

Alphonso has remained the same since i brought it from the nursery and repotted it. Applied trace minerals and some citrus star fert 12-10-10 slow release and trace mineral foliar spray...

This post was edited by craze4mango_tx on Sun, May 25, 14 at 22:43

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

The cogshall has kept the same growth and hasnt pushed anything new yet although applying a small amount of 12-10-10 w trace minerals and giving it a trace mineral foliar spray has corrected the pale color of the new leaves.

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

Also the satsuma in-ground w no signs of stress... just gave it that same citrus 12-10-10 slow release and it began to bloom. It has set fruit from those blossoms and is now going through another blossom phase. Maybe that can tell me what type of satsuma it is since i picked it up from a curbside with no tag. Turns out the busted sewer pipe that the neighbor's oak tree busted is a mere 2-3 feet from it. Yikes! I dont plan on moving the tree, root guard should do the job.

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

And the brazos belle in its original container. Must repot soon or clear its place in the backyard

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

The brazos belle with its only fruit. It is pushing new leaves though

• mangobaby
    9 years ago

Mangoes are getting ripe :-)

• mangobaby
    9 years ago

Alphonso - I brought this and NamDocMai to share at TRFG meeting last week.

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

Nice to see truly local mangos from houston!! Its not fair i didnt now about TRFG!!! Do they have official meetings? Also -have you tried picking alphonsos before they break color to ripen off the tree? I read that improves taste...My alphonso is just sittin pretty in pot doing nothing but staying same size w no flushes... My cogshall flushed major green and doesnt look like a skinned chicken anymore! The mallika is still thin and slanky but had a lot of new leaves. All but one of my mango seedlings are both alive and growing and flushing new green. dont have the pics w me now though...

This post was edited by craze4mango_tx on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 14:42

• mangobaby
    9 years ago

TRFG has a Facebook group and we try to meet 2-3 times a year (lot of seed, bud wood and plant exchange plus grafting demos etc are done)

I can send you a message here with if you are interested (there is no membership, you just need Facebook account :-)

I just picked 4 NamDocMai mangoes this morning.

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

hey mangobaby! Im on TRFG's facebook. My alphonso got smacked with scale as you may have seen already, the cure applied was worse and the transplanting didnt help anything. Its trying to break new flushes as i "winterize". Are your frostcovers up yet? i am racing against time--literally!!

• mangoadonis
    8 years ago

I'm "green" so idk anything about growing anything but I want to grow mangos any tips for the new comer

• wally_1936
    8 years ago

Check with your local extension agent. they should be able to help you the most.

• Nasru Momin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

what is TRFG's on facebook. i am in sugar land and i want to grow mango tree what kind of fertilizer i can use?

• vaishana vishaka
    8 years ago

i just planted a small alphonso tree 1-2 years old..it is close to my front side wall..is this a good spot? protected from cold..what kind of fertilizer should i Use? i am in sugar land as well. please help... thanks...

• Gayathri Saripalli
    7 years ago
    Hello, where can I find Alphonso Mango tree so that I can plant it in backyard. I live in Sugar Land area.
  • Sarah Domingo
    7 years ago

I see them in 3 gal at JRN nursery on Breen Rd

• David Vignini
    6 years ago

Ok folks - i am moving from Miami to Austin and will try to replicate my cuurent mango orchard in central texas. I will be moving in late spring. Looking forward to joining the party!!!!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    6 years ago

Welcome to the Texas Garden Web! We'll look forward to hearing more from you about your Austin garden.

• wilmer223
    6 years ago

Hi all - I have a Carrie Mango in a pot that was hit pretty bad when it snowed a couple of weeks ago (and there may be more snow this Tuesday right after the New Year) and the leaves all turned brown and dried up. They haven't fallen off the tree though... is my Carrie Mango tree still alive or is it dead? I can't tell.

• HU-781093767
    5 years ago

Hi all I am planning on buying an Alphonso Mango tree. I wanted to know if it is better to keep the tree in a pot or plant it in the ground? I live in Katy. I know the trees planted in the ground are going to need winter protection. I know most of you have had past experiences with growing mangoes in Houston so just wanted to get your advice.

• Mahesh Rajayya
    2 years ago

All, Please let me know where I can get the cogshall/nam doc mai in Texas? I am in Houston. Please refer me to a local nursery. Thanks

• Sree Kasa
    2 years ago

Hi, im new to the group and am lookinf for suggestions on best variety of mango plants and where to buy

• Sree Kasa
    2 years ago

Please can you add me to trfg group so i can learn more about growing mangoes.

• Ruba Sarris
    2 years ago

Any advice on best dwarf mango with smallest container feasible that can tolerate our humidity/decent yield and disease resistance? In an apartment with a balcony. Considering Julie, Mellika, fruit punch and ice cream. Thank you!!!