Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink morning glory

Posted by Splendor 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 11:09

Hello~
I am new to Texas, and trying to get my yard looking presentable.....I have this morning glory growing in a front bed....it's pretty, but is it a weed???
Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink morning glory

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 18:00

Chop it off ASAP! :D
I grow nothing but weeds, natives and invasives but wild morning glories are one of the few plants banned in my garden. They choke everything they climb on, propagate like crazy and they leave an ugly waste in winter.

Omar

o

It's Field bindweed and it will take over your garden if you let it. You can use Roundup before it sets seeds or try digging down at least 6 inches and 3-4 inches out from the main rhizome and try to remove it without breaking up the roots. Cover the area with cardboard and 3-4 inches of mulch. No matter what method you use keep all the flowers clipped off to prevent seed formation. One plant may produce up to 550 seeds, which can remain viable in soil for 50 years. Info from Garden Gate magazine. Good luck.

o

Many thanks Omar & backacre!!!! I had a sneaking feeling that this plant had issues as it grew twice as big every day and seemed to be getting ready to come in my house through the front door!!! Off with it's head!!!!!

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 16:31

No problem. I hope you will be able to get rid of it soon.

Omar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here