Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Privacy Hedges

Posted by nathandees 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 11:27

Can someone tell me, what is a good fast-growing privacy hedge acceptable to plant in residential areas in Dallas? We live in a hilly neighborhood, so fences don't really block the view from houses further up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Privacy Hedges

• Posted by magoo1 7 Crowley, TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 17:01

Red tip Photinia is what I suggested to our kids, who live across the circle from us...you can see 1/2 of their entire back yard from 30 ft away....really drops off badly.The photinia has a really fast growth rate...easy to keep shaped...grows to about 30 ft, I think. Really pretty shrub.

o

I pondered this question for a long time, in 2007, I ended up investing in about 60 Emerald Thujas that were supposed to grow very quickly to 20 feet. They have been very slow growing and are still at only 3.5' tall :-(.

If I had it to do over, I would plant small trees every 15' with shrubs beneath them. If I had done that in 2007, I would have complete privacy by now.

o

It is not for nothing that red tip is the hedge shrub of choice where it does well. I read, though, that it is hardy only to zone 8. Waxleaf has fallen from favor, and is considered unimaginative, but it does grow like the dickens, and will withstand neglect well. Much more hardy than hollies.

o

Red Tip photinia would certainly be the fastest growing, but they are susceptible to fungus, and just when they get to the right size they may get it and it will kill them - there is no cure and then you'd have to start over. Chinese photinia might be a better choice, but they don't grow as fast. Yaupon hollies grow pretty fast, and although crape myrtles are deciduous, they grow fast too. You'd have the winter with no leaves, but the bare branches would offer some privacy. Maybe look at wax myrtle too. Whatever you decide on try to get the largest specimens you can find and afford. They will get to the height you need faster, and you won't be as prone to planting them too close together.

o

I've lost one red tip, out of 20, to fungus in the last 19 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here