Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I protect flowers from Rabbits?

Posted by artisticcheese 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 11:37

Hello,

Rabbits chew on hibiscuss before it can reach height where it can not be touched by them. How do I prevent rabbits at least temporarily killing off my plants while they are being established. I can not really put fence in front flower bed. I also tried Repel-Al from Lowes but it did not do anything.

Thanks,
G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I protect flowers from Rabbits?

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 16:45

Find the way to collect your urine and apply it around the plants for several days. It worked for me when trying to get rid of voles out of my yard. My wife thinks it is disgusting and I think the voles agreed with her. I found it kinda fun, mischievous and effective.

Omar

o

I frequently pee outside and I know it will kill grass after multiple applications, I'm afraid this method will ruin plants

o

I know urine works as a deer deterrant. Prey animals read it as a preditor on the prowl. A little sprinkled on the ground will not harm plants. It's diluted when you water making very good fertilizer. It might be worth a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scientific American article on urine as fertilizer ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here