Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wichita Blue Juniper

Posted by calverttx 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 11:43

Zone 8 Central Texas. Has anyone planted one of these and will it grow here. As I get OLDER I am going to more and more shrubs. I like the cedar tree look but am not sure what to plant. Just because it says zone 8 does not necessarily mean Texas and 100 degrees. If this does not work do you know what will? I am thinking of the fall planting I want to do (and transplanting). As always, Thank you so much for your help.

When you make suggestions please mention how much sun it is growing in, Love, N

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wichita Blue Juniper

I had a Blue Point Juniper, which I think has similar requirements, for several years. It just wasn't happy with five hours of direct light daily, and grew at an angle, towards the sun. Spider mites were an ongoing hassle (they cause ugly dead patches in the foliage.) Didn't have to water it much, though. They do look lovely at the nurseries, don't they?

o

This from the tree forum. Sounds like one that might break your heart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wichita Blue Juniper

o

You might want to check out Blue Pyramid Cypress. My friend Linda M. planted several and they are looking great. She worked at Rainbow Gardens for years so she know plants and she thinks they will do very well in Texas growing conditions.

She says Blue Ice Cypress is another good one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Pyramid Cypress on Google ...

o

I'm planting 4-5 foot Juniper trees as a privacy border about 30 trees we were planning on spacing 3 feet apart however decided to go 2 feet for more immediate privacy Will I regret this in the long run Are they too close ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here