Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesli8_gw

Texas Greenhouse

lesli8
10 years ago

Its not finished yet but here is what I have (or really my awesome dh) been up to lately!

{{gwi:289753}}
{{gwi:289754}}
{{gwi:289755}}
{{gwi:289756}}
Roselee requested photos!
All of the parts are recycled except the roofing-- it is Suntuf polycarbonate from Home Depot -- All the windows open and I have black screens for each one. The South side of the roof is smoke colored suntuf, which blocks like 65% of the sun, makes a big difference in the temp. It seems to be taking forever since he can only work on it a little here and a little there. I can not wait!

Lesli

This post was edited by lesli8 on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 12:29

Comments (25)

• lesli8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ah, yes got it figured out, Thanks Roselee!

Lesli

This post was edited by lesli8 on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 12:31

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

What a happy dream of a greenhouse that finally became a reality. Marvelous! You definitely need to publish a 'how to do it' book so others would be better able to accomplish their dream greenhouse also. I love that you used recyled materials for most of it.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Awesome! I really like the floor!

Omar

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

So exciting! Love the floor too. Did you start with the windows then build to their size? I'm curious about it all. Are you going to cover it until fall or are you diving in?
    c

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I love it! It's really a spacious greenhouse. I too love the floor.

• marcie_new
    10 years ago

That is a beauti work of art and love! I well we husband and I were trying to build a greenhouse like that! but I did not know how to explain to hubby exactly what I wanted to do we have several(5) full patio doors and other single glass patio door, then hubby got sick and gh came to a stand still but now that I saw your pictures and husband is doing really great the project is on again!Thanks for the pictures I will have to gather all of my loose bricks that we have laying around so excited!! Marcie

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Very nice! Love the brick floor. What was he using to remove the old mortar, and how long did that part take?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Very nice! Love the brick floor. What was he using to remove the old mortar, and how long did that part take?

• lesli8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He used an air hammer with a chisel bit on it. It hooks up to the air compressor, pretty much the only way to really get it done inside of several years ;) Well not working full time on it-- 30-40 hours, maybe?

We got the air hammer and chisel at Tractor Supply.

Lesli

• lesli8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will be moving a few things in, in a day or two. I don't have the shelves etc. yet, but dh wants things that are going to live in it to go ahead and move in so he can mow the lawn easier, LOL. Half of the roof (south side is the solar grey polycarbonate Suntuf, and only allows 35% of the suns rays to penetrate. Makes a huge difference. During the hottest weather we had, about 103* with the windows open, and the greenhouse empty of plants and dry/no mist it was 110* in there. I think with the plants and misters going it will stay a lot cooler. So I think if things don't sunburn (we will probably put up some shade for the shade lover plants). But girl I have waited for a LONG time--I'm MOVING IN!! LOL

• southofsa
    10 years ago

That looks awesome! A gh is on the someday list. It's inspiring to see yours. Congratulations!

Lisa

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Looks wonderful and functional...........makes me wish I had room for another one..................LOL> Also makes me wish I had a brick floor with all the "weeds" now growing on the "floor" of mine.

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

WOW! He must really love you!

• lesli8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

:) I think so too! He is a great and very handy guy. I am a very lucky lady indeed!

Lesli

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

Originally we used a plastic rom Lowe's that said it was strong enough for Texas sun but it went brittle after the 1st full year. You probably have a different product but keep the receipt and any guarantee just in case. This is such a wonderful greenhouse in every way! Promise to share your journey.....smiles c

• lesli8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all of your kind words. They mean a lot to me! I will share all that I learn along the way.

My husband has been inspired by me recently publishing my first novel on Amazon Kindle store, (literally about a week ago!) so now he wants me to use all the pictures I took along the way and perhaps publish a kindle book about building a greenhouse from scratch. I think it might be an interesting book to write/put together. Another combined effort for us. Might be fun!

We just sent our second (last) son off to college, so we are empty-nesters and our project has brought us closer than ever. But he just wants to go fishing right now, poor guy, he is afraid this project will never be done, LOL!

Lesli

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Here's the link to Lesli's historical fiction novel. It's based on her family's stories as well as history and her own imagination.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Rose for Hannah ....

• lesli8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Roselee! I have been busily writing the next one. Forgot how much fun it is to just write what ever comes to my fingers!

Lesli

• lesli8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A few photos,

{{gwi:289757}}

{{gwi:289758}}
    {{gwi:289759}}
    {{gwi:289761}}

I have put up a huge ugly tarp to give a little shade as I have not been able to get the GH shade screen yet. But I played out in the greenhouse most of the day. Our temps finally dropped, and the good Lord has given a bit of rain. We expect temps around 90* all week, great relief over the 100*+ days. Today I found a snake in the greenhouse, he came out and got a drink out of a large saucer I had a large pot in. I have never seen a snake drink before, so that was pretty cool. It was only a rough green snake, but it gave me quite an initial fright! He was about 3ft long and as large around as a large garden hose. I lost track of him and don't know if he got out or not, I fear he is enjoying the large pot of oakleaf fern.
    {{gwi:289763}}
    Lesli

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    10 years ago

The greenhouse looks great, and I love your little visitor! Maybe he'll keep the GH free from other critters.

You're going to have a busy day just before the first freeze, closing all those windows :) Will you have a sitting area out there for you to enjoy your plants during the winter?

Lin

• lesli8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will have a sitting area--unless I go crazy and buy too many plants! LOL, I am trying to keep a level head!

Lesli

• carrie751
    10 years ago

If you are anything like me, good luck on that !!!! Your greenhouse looks better and better

• lesli8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, well there is no more sitting area in the green house, is much much fuller, (more full?) than it was. My floor is not so clean anymore, sand seems to be floating up, gets swept around...leaves (ficus, mainly) everywhere, potting soil, holding up well a year and a half in. LOVE it, still super busy with work. I have a toad or two that have found their way in there and they can get into some pretty high pots. I haven't seen the snake any more, but was moving one of the ficus trees around and found myself face to face with a looonggg snake skin... Wondered where my little anoles went.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Such a wonderful large, beautiful greenhouse -- we should all be so fortunate ... sigh ... :-) I remember how long you planned for it, and then you were trying to find things to put in it. It didn't take long to fill it up, a year; or for your life to fill up with hours spent away from it. But it will be there for you when you have time again.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I would kill for A greenhouse like that.. Well, maybe cut off my right arm for it. Beautiful! I do recommend a temperature controlled fan in the apex of your roof. I know lots of greenhouse owners will throw over a shade cloth in summer and remove it in winter. One can control the amount of light seasonally then. Some desert people actually use that reflective shade cloth. Neighbors don't much like that look. It is kinda shiny.