Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanatricia

skunk

nanatricia
11 years ago

Help how do I get rid of a skunk? It has been digging for a long time in my yard I was not sure what it was till I had a run in with it the other night!!! What do I do?

Comments (13)

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

hiring a pro or trapping it yourself and taking it far away is probably the most effective way.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Trap a skunk, now this is fun. Carrying it somewhere after it is trapped is "FUNNER". If you want to be MEAN & HEARTLESS. there is the cayenne pepper in the yard. BUT if you have animals or children, they might get it in their eyes too. Coyote urine is sold online. That might work.

Please do not bring it to my neighborhood.

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

Where do you live again,Mara?

Omar

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

hehehe Omar :-)

We had one that was hiding under stuff in the garage for a week. We played loud music, it did not seem to care for Metallica and vacated. I wish I had a foolproof bit of advice for you.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Mara and Omar, you both gave me a giggle.

Nanatricia, you wanna' borrow my dog Max? ;-) He grabs skunks by the wrong end and has gotten it right in the mouth THREE times! I didn't intend for that to happy since I'm the one who has to bathe him, but my Mom loves him and I'd take him when I visited her every evening. Of course he always wanted to take a tour around the back yard while there. My sister leaves cat food out and that's a sure fire way to attract skunks.

If the skunk is digging he must be finding grubs. Same with armadillos. They advise getting rid of the grubs that attract them. Beneficial nematoes work very well for that purpose.

I wish you well.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I live in that outside of suburbia countryside where people are always dropping off their unwanted animals. I live with my door open a lot and I came into my bathroom and found a skunk drinking out of the toilet. I had to go BAD.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Laughing out loud!

"Now don't that beat all!" as my grandmother used to say.

You mean somebody dropped off a PET skunk?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Several.

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

"Mara in Skunkland".

Omar

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

If you live within a city limit, call animal control. Tell them that there are "varmints" digging in your flower beds and that you wish to borrow a catch-um-alive trap. Most cities will bring you a trap. When you see you have caught the skunk, call the city to come get their trap. Stay inside while they retrieve it. Not just because of the smell, but because the person they send will not be happy.

Jim

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Skunks are very gentle animals and will be no problem as long as you do not bother them. They love to show off their babies if they have them. Now if they are digging up your garden that would be another story. I have never been sprayed but have been entertained by them many times.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Skunks come and go in my garden. My cat comes in smelling like them. I think she is friendly with them. They don't bother me too much. My cat does more digging up. She likes to pull out my newly planted things.

• The Jungle Explorer
    11 years ago

There only two for sure ways to get rid of a skunk. Trap it and remove it to a remote uninhabited location or kill it. I live out in the country and have a large free range chicken flock. I have a lot of skunks and other varmints around and I don't bother them as long as they don't bother my chickens. But if they do, it is the last thing they do. I have 22Mag rifle with a 12 power scope and a 200 lumen LED barrel light and a 1 pound trigger pull. Anything (skunks, bobcats, feral cats, foxes, coyotes etc) that messes with my chickens gets lead poisoning. I don't like it, but it is just a fact of life when you live in the Texas country side and are over run with varmints. The varmints are so bad here in Texas that they are about to put the Bobwhite Quail on the endangered species list. But, if you live inside the city limits shooting them is not an option, so it is either trapping them or poisoning them. Using poison is too risky because you might kill a lot of unintended animals like your neighbors cat. You can buy a box trap at tractor supply for around $40. Skunks will eat anything, but the more it smells the better. Fish is really good. Before you set the trap, you need to rig it where you can open the door with a string to release the skunk. Once you trap the skunk you need to very slowly and carefully cover the trap with a thick blanket you no longer want. Skunks will usually not spray unless they can see you, so covering them up before moving them works most of the time. I would use a pickup to transport the skunk in the cage just in case though. Once you get to the release location, gently place the box trap on the ground and use the string to open the door, and then slowly remove the blanket and move back to a safe distance until the skunk is out of the cage and gone. If done right you should get out of it without smelling too bad, but a gas mask and a couple of gallons of tomato juice might be a good safety net. LOL!