Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BIG leaves.... water or fertilizer?

Posted by gardener972 7b-8a DFW (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 12:34

What have you determined will make big leaves on "leaf only" plants, water or fertilizer? I have a selloum philodendron in the ground and the leaves are only 5" long although when I bought it several years ago, it had huge leaves three times that size. I've given it liquid fertilizer a few times this year, it gets plenty of water. Am I not giving it enough fertilizer? Also, my hydrangia is the same... small leaves and it never did get very big this year. I'm stumped.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BIG leaves.... water or fertilizer?

It's probably the cold winter that keeps the leaves small on the selloum. Mine had huge leaves until it died back this winter. This was the first time it has ever died back and the leaves are just now getting larger, but not nearly as large as they were last year. I never fertilize it, but might try that this fall.

My hydrangea was slow to come back this year too and has stayed small. It may be that we got hot very early this spring and that slowed it down.

o
RE: BIG leaves.... water or fertilizer?

Might be too much direct sun.

I replanted similar plants under the dappled shade of an oak tree and the leaves all increased in size, but also, the hard freeze set them back a bit this year early, but they are now coming on larger.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here